Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1 RAMSAY LANE, FORMER RAGGED SCHOOL WITH GATELB29596

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/10/1973
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25425 73541
Coordinates
325425, 673541

Description

David Rhind, 1850. 2-storey and attic (basements to rear) 5-bay former school with Jacobean detailing. Lightly stugged coursed ashlar with polished dressings; squared and snecked rubble with polished dressings to rear. String course between ground and 1st floors. Bracketed eaves. Chamfered surrounds to doors and windows.

W (RAMSAY LANE) ELEVATION: slightly advanced 3-bay block to centre with shaped gable: tripartite window flanked by bipartites to ground and 1st floors, those to 1st with hoodmoulds and labelstops; small tripartite in gable with hoodmould stepping up over date panel (1850).. Single bay to right with hoodmoulded timber panelled door; carved open book over (see Notes); bipartite window above. Recessed bay to left with steps to clouted timber boarded door with decorative hinges and fanlight (later diamond-pane glazing); single window to right.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: string course and shaped gable. Door to left in moulded surround.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated; mullioned and transomed windows. Gable to left with apex stack.

GATE: 2-leaf cast-iron gate to left with fleur-de-lys finials.

INTERIOR: much remains of the internal fittings of the school - classrooms with timber panelling, some plain chimneypieces, stone stairs with cast-iron banisters.

4-pane glazing with top hoppers. Grey slates. Cast-iron downpipe with decorative hopper.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as Edinburgh Original Ragged Industrial School, on the initiative of Dr Guthrie. Open bible reads 'Search the Scriptures St John vs v 59.' Acquired by New College with the intention that it should form part of the proposed Patrick Geddes Centre for Planning Studies, by the University of Edinburgh in 1972, and sold to Visitors Centre Ltd in 1982. Part of the building serves as a shop for the Outlook Tower (separately listed).

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 13th June 1850. Appears on 1854 OS map. Grant OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH vol 1 (1885) p87. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 192.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 RAMSAY LANE, FORMER RAGGED SCHOOL WITH GATE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 21:50