Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1-3 (INCLUSIVE NOS) RAMSAY GARDENLB29593

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
15/10/2001
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25393 73581
Coordinates
325393, 673581

Description

Early 18th century, and Arthur George Sydney Mitchell and George Wilson, 1894. 3-storey, basement and attic (4 storeys to rear) plain 6-bay tenement (3 2-bay blocks) with later embellishments. Random rubble with ashlar margins (painted); cream harled additions to N. Plain gable to E.

S ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated; timber panelled doors with small-pane glazed fanlights in moulded, corniced surrounds in outer left and 2nd and 3rd bays from right; red painted steps supported on harled walls with decorative curved wrought-iron railings built out over basement area to doors at 1st floor level in 2nd and 3rd bays from right; cast-iron railings to basement area. 6 slate-hung piend-roofed dormers to attic. Carved name RAMSAY GARDEN to outer right.

N ELEVATION: 3 2-bay blocks, irregularly fenestrated, with gabled jettied attics; small-pane glazing carried into apex of gables. Glazed door to left block; pentice-roofed single-storey glazed extension with door to centre block; single-bay 2-storey oriel at 3rd and 4th floors to outer left; 2-bay 2-storey oriel in centre block; swept-roofed oriel at 3rd floor in 2nd bay from right. Block to right harled.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to 18th century building; predominantly small-pane glazing to 1894 additions. Grey slates. Corniced end stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

The A group comprises Nos 1-3, Nos 4-10, Nos 11 and 12 and Nos 13-16 Ramsay Garden. The ground on which Ramsay Garden stands was acquired by the poet Allan Ramsay in 1733. On it he built an octagonal villa, Ramsay Lodge, completed circa 1734. The property was purchased by Professor Patrick Geddes from Lord Murray of Henderland, a descendant of Ramsay, in 1890. The complex which Geddes built, incorporating Ramsay Lodge and the plain 18th century tenement to the E (Nos 1-3 Ramsay Garden), and designed by S Henbest Capper and Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, was an extension of his University Hall, begun in 1883 at 2 Mound Place. As the article in the BUILDER suggests, Geddes' intention was to 'combine the advantages of collegiate life with the more practical needs and shorter purses of Scottish undergraduates.' Sydney Mitchell's plan of 1894 shows the subdivision of No 1 Ramsay Garden to 2 houses, with the addition of the stair and door at 1st floor level. The Ramsay Garden complex is important both architecturally and historically, and also has immense townscape significance, particularly the sky-line as viewed from Princes Street and the New Town.

References

Bibliography

Appears on Edgar's 1742 plan of Edinburgh. Dean of Guild 21st June 1894. BUILDER 17th January and 19th August 1893. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p191-2.

Margo Johnston JOURNAL OF THE ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE SOCIETY OF SCOTLAND xvi 1989 pp 3-19.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-3 (INCLUSIVE NOS) RAMSAY GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 21:48