Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

35-41 (ODD NUMBERS) RAEBURN PLACELB29583

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/03/2000
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24426 74645
Coordinates
324426, 674645

Description

Probably James Milne, 1814; early 20th century single storey block to N. 2-storey and attic, 6-bay double villa, comprising 2 3-bay mirrored houses. Tooled coursed sandstone ashlar with polished dressings to principal elevation; sandstone rubble to remainder. Long and short quoins; eaves cornice; eaves blocking course.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; ground floor obscured by single storey retail units, modern shopfronts; regular fenestration to 1st floor; canted dormer to right of attic floor, flanked by skylights; gate adjoining to outer left.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: gabled.

N ELEVATION: not seen 1999.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Stone skews. Coped gablehead stacks and modern harled stack breaking pitch, circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with 28, 28A, 30 and 30A-D Raeburn Place, 32, 34 and 34A Raeburn Place, 19-25 (odd numbers) Raeburn Place, 27, 27A-B and 29 Raeburn Place and 31, 31A and 33 Raeburn Place (see separate listings). In 1780 Sir Henry Raeburn married Ann Edgar, widow of Count Leslie, who owned Old Deanhaugh House, which then became Raeburn's. Shortly afterwards he bought the nearby St Bernard House, and consequently owned much of the land to the N of the Water of Leith. In 1813 he commenced on developing and feuing some of this land, at that time known as Deanhaugh, for housing. Raeburn Place was the first to be built, and by 1825 the work was all but finished. The E end of the street was originally a series of double villas, with gardens in front. The gardens were developed from the beginning of the 20th century into single storey retail units.

References

Bibliography

Kirkwood, ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, (1817); 1st (1853) AND 2nd (1896) EDITION OS MAPS; 1908 OS MAP; SASINES; A J Youngson, THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH, (1966), p213-215; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH, (1991), p408; S Harris, THE PLACE NAMES OF EDINBURGH, (1996), p227-228 and p514-515; NMRS Photographs.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 35-41 (ODD NUMBERS) RAEBURN PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 00:53