Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CLUNY CASTLELB2949

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/04/1971
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Cluny
NGR
NJ 68900 12743
Coordinates
368900, 812743

Description

John Smith 1836-40 incorporating Z-plan castle of 1604 (probably by I. Bol) refaced and largely refenestrated at W. 3 storey, towers 4/5 storey. Castellated ashlar neo-Tudor with corbelled angle features crenellated parapets and machicolated round towers; symmetrical front with porch of 3 semi-elliptical arches between twin towers of which

western is of 1604 with completely rebuilt top. Back wings enclosing court, large neo-perpendicular chapel with apse and stone tracery. Interior Graeco-Renaissance:- octagonal entrance hall with red granite antae, spectacular stair-case with carved wooden balustrade panels, 1st floor and corridor Corinthian; rich plasterwork in drawing room; notable

circular room with tent ceiling.

References

Bibliography

3.S.A. p. 230 A.P.S.D.

Smith accounts, National Monuments Record

W. Douglas Simpson Earldom of Mar p.131 (il and plan)

Lithograph by Hulmandell.

C. & D. Arch v. II p.232 sketch illustrations and plans by Skene of Rubislaw. Restoration of chapel & c. after fire damage 1926.

G. Bennet Mitchell Aberdeen.

Press & Journal Sep. 3rd 1928.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLUNY CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/08/2019 23:49