Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

37-41 (ODD NOS) NICOLSON STREETLB29416

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/04/1977
Supplementary Information Updated
26/09/2008
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26043 73231
Coordinates
326043, 673231

Description

Peter L Henderson, 1899. 3-storey and attic, 5-bay, symmetrical, Free Renaissance style with French influence, former department store (now shop to ground floor only, 2007) with arcaded 1st floor and distinctive steep roofline. Polished ashlar. String course, dentilled cornice.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: central canted recessed entrance doorway to ground with timber and glass swing entrance doors. Some decorative iron mullions. Cornice.

Upper storeys with narrow strip pilasters dividing bays. Central 3 bays to 1st storey with segmental-arched, dentilled and key-stoned window openings with nook-shafts. Flanking small, round-arched window openings. 3-light windows to 2nd storey with stone mullions. Central gablet with semi-circular arched moulded window; flanking cat-slide 2-light dormers. Decorative iron brattishing to steep French pavilion roof.

Predominantly plate glass timber fixed and casement windows; sash and case to dormers. Plate glass to shop at ground. Grey slates. Raised skews.

INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Good, with original room plan and layout largely extant. Fine decorative plaster ceilings to ground floor with geometric and floral patterns. Decorative dentilled cornicing. Fluted Corinthian style columns to ground floor with simpler fluted columns to other floors. Open-well staircase with timber balusters and banister. Some decorative timber moulding to underside of stair.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a well-detailed purpose-built former department store, still in use as a shop and which adds considerably to the streetscape of the area. It is a good example of a medium-sized department store and it survives remarkably intact. The segmental-arched 1st storey windows which provide further advertising space for merchandise, especially visible from the upper deck of trams, are a particularly fine feature of the building, together with the steeply pitched roof. The shop is notable for its retention of considerable interior detailing, especially the decorative plaster ceilings.

A dated drawing of 1899 shows the street elevation with arcaded transoms and decorated mullions to the shop at ground and it is possible that these survive under the later timber boarding and fascia. An earlier, 19th century advertisement depicts the 'South-side Emporium' at this address, although this is shown with an earlier building, which the one of 1899 replaced.

Peter Henderson (1848-1912) was an Edinburgh based architect who was also an engineer. His output included a number of breweries in the area, as well as other, mostly public buildings.

List description revised as part of the Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-8.

References

Bibliography

3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1905-6). John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984 p248. Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.codexgeo.co.uk (accessed 06-06-07). Further information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 37-41 (ODD NOS) NICOLSON STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 01:54