Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

23, 23A AND 23B MINTO STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND PEDESTRIAN GATELB29353

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26722 71904
Coordinates
326722, 671904

Description

Earlier 19th century with later alterations. 2 storey, 4 bay near symmetrical pair of classical houses. Cream sandstone ashlar, rusticated at ground; coursed rubble to sides and rear. Base course; band course; cill course to architraved 1st floor windows; cornice and blocking course raised at centre.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: engaged Doric columns flanking recessed doorways to central bays; panelled doors; segmental arched umbrella fanlights; single windows to 1st floor above. Single window in segmental arched panel to ground floor outer right (No 23a); single window to 1st floor above. Advanced, corniced, tripartite window with panelled aprons to ground floor outer left (No 23); tripartite window to 1st floor above.

S (MAYFIELD TERRACE) ELEVATION: 3 bay. Base course; dividing band course; advanced cills; architraves; cornice. Modern window to ground floor at centre; single window to 1st floor above; single blind windows to both floors in bay to outer left; single windows to both floors in bay to outer right.

23B (MAYFIELD TERRACE): 3 bay with additional single storey wing to E; 2 storey (originally single storey). Droved cream sandstone at ground; coursed rubble to 1st floor, sides and rear; polished ashlar dressings. Base course; quoins; architraves to 1st and 2nd floor windows; cornice at ground and 1st floor. Central doorway; modern door; multi paned fanlight; single blind window to 1st floor above. Single windows to both floors in remaining bays and to single storey wing to E.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows; 12 pane to 1st floor of No 23b. Grey slate piended roof; pitched roof to 23b; corniced and coped ridge stack with moulded cans and coped wallhead stacks to main house; rendered and coped wallhead stack to No 23b.

INTERIOR: not seen 1996.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND PEDESTRIAN GATES: low coursed and coped boundary wall to street; original railings to No 23a, replacement railings elsewhere. High rubble wall to N and to Mayfield Terrace. Pedestrian gate adjoining house to N.

Statement of Special Interest

Mayfield Terrace was originally known as Ross Street. In the 19th century there were gates to the W end of Mayfield Terrace and No 23b was a gate lodge. The second storey is a later addition since it was a condition of Sir George Stuart's feu contract of 1807 that all porters' lodges should be single storey. There are gatepiers and a gate lodge also at the E end of Mayfield Terrace. Porters' lodges were stipulated by the owners of the land in 1825, Benjamin and George Bell, as desirable to maintain the privacy, convenience and security of prospective residents.

References

Bibliography

William Forbes Gray "The Lands of Newington and their Owners" BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB VOL 24 (1942), p155, p164 and p177; Gifford McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1992), p642.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 23, 23A AND 23B MINTO STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND PEDESTRIAN GATE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/08/2022 15:05