Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

31-37 (ODD NOS) MARSHALL STREET AND 23 NICOLSON SQUARELB29304

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/04/1977
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25997 73180
Coordinates
325997, 673180

Description

Mid 18th century with dated 1877 Scots baronial section to S (see Notes). 4-storey and attic L-plan crowstepped tenement with commercial premises to ground and basement to rear (N). 18th century section with 2 x 2-bay gable elevation to E with 3 x 1-bay double-gable elevation to S. Narrow canted bay in re-entrant angle. Random rubble with dressed margins to earlier section, squared and coursed rubble with ashlar margins to later 1877 section, painted to ground. Some windows with raised architraves, cornices and strapwork pediments; some consoled cornices to ground. Piended and finialled pedimented dormers, some with monogram DC in pediment and one to S dated 1877.

Pilastered shop front to E with timber fascia. Advanced pedimented doorway to S. Recessed panelled timber and glass entrance doors.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to earlier section, and 2 over 4 pane timber sash and case windows to later. Plate glass to shops. Grey slates. Gable stacks. Raised skews with scroll skew-putts.

INTERIOR: (partly seen 2007). Shops comprehensively modernised.

Statement of Special Interest

This distinctive tenement building forms the North West corner of Nicolson Square and contributes significantly to the streetscape of the square. The 18th century part forms an important termination to Nicolson Square. It is interesting that the building was retained as far as possible when other work necessitated partial demolition in the 1870s (see below). Along with its pair on the opposite side of the street it is an important piece of both 18th and 19th century town planning.

This building, together with 16-20 Marshall Street (see separate listing) was originally a H-plan tenement building forming the W side of Nicolson Square with a central pend where the centre of Marshall Street now lies. Marshall Street was built in 1877 as a result of the 1867 City Improvement Act and it required the demolition of the central portion of the building. The North and South wings were then left and new single bay sections were added to the elevations facing Marshall Street.

Nicolson Square dates from 1765 and was feued from the Estate of Lady Nicolson.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

William Edgar, City & Castle of Edinburgh, 1765. 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1876-7). James Grant, Old and New Edinburgh, 1890 Vol IV p332. John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p248. Charles McKean, Edinburgh, An Illustrated Architectural History, 1992, p74. www.scran.ac.uk (accessed 30-05-07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 31-37 (ODD NOS) MARSHALL STREET AND 23 NICOLSON SQUARE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/08/2022 14:09