There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24292 73431
- Coordinates: 324292, 673431
Robert Brown, built 1825. Extensive classical terrace, comprising unified façade of 2- and 3-storey townhouses with basements attics with main-door and common stair flats behind; with later attic additions. Slightly advanced 5-bay corner block to N. Basement area to street including some vaulted cellars and retaining walls. Sandstone ashlar, droved at basement, channelled at ground floor. Entrance platts oversailing basement. Banded base course. Banded cill course at 1st and 2nd floors. Corniced eaves course. Stepped and balustraded parapet to corner block Plain doorpieces with rectangular fanlights over. Round arched doorway to corner block with narrow sidelights and radial fanlight over. Round-arched recessed windows at ground floor to corner block. Moulded architraved surrounds at 1st floor windows. Architraved and corniced surrounds to 1st floor windows to corner block (pedimented window to centre bay). Cast-iron balconies on scrolled brackets at 1st floor windows. Box dormers to Nos. 3, 7, 9, 11.
REAR ELEVATION: coursed squared rubble with ashlar cills lintels and rybats; some ashlar quoins. Roughly regular fenestration.
Predominantly 6- over 9-pane and 12-pane in timber sash and case windows. Double pitch M-section roof, grey slates. Corniced ashlar wallhead and ridge stacks with modern clay cans. Cast-iron railings on sandstone coping stone edging basement recess to street. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: interiors typified by plain classical detailing. Some cornicing, with mainly foliate designs. Fire surrounds with broken pediments. Some oval internal rooms with detailed plasterwork door surrounds and cornicing.
Statement of Special Interest
Manor Place is a well-proportioned and detailed classical terrace, forming an important component of the Walker Estate and the Western New Town. The townhouses are a well-ordered and largely well-preserved example of the urban planning of Robert Brown for the former Walker estate, built from 1825 onwards. The design is a variation of his designs for Walker Street and formed the template for the composition and design of the later phases of Manor Place by John Lessels (see separate listings). Prior to 1882 the terrace was numbered consecutively.
Robert Brown was an experienced architect, and by the time he was involved with the deigns for the Walker Estate he had already designed several other urban schemes, including between 1810 and 1830 laying out streets in Portobello on land belonging to the Marques of Abercorn. His other notable works include Newington and St. Leonard's church (now The Queen's Hall) and the rearrangement of the interiors for Yester House on behalf of the Marques of Tweeddale. Robert Brown worked on a number of smaller projects in the New Town but the cohesive planning of the Walker estate is amongst one of the best examples of his work. He was especially competent in the design of corner pavilions and parades of shops, as can be seen in his work at North West Circus Place (see separate listing).
(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1849-53); John Wood, Plan of the City of Edinburgh, including all the latest and intended improvements (1823); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 375; Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh, (1988) p. 216; West End Community Trust, Edinburgh's West End, A Short History, (1984).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.