Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

5-11 (ODD NOS) LEITH STREETLB29249

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
19/12/1979
Supplementary Information Updated
19/03/2003
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25909 74056
Coordinates
325909, 674056

Description

Late 18th century. Wedge-plan tenement block, 3-storey and attic, 7 -bay bowed elevation to Leith Street. Polished ashlar. Pilastraded shopfront (possibly late 19th century) at ground floor; cill band to 1st floor; eaves cornice; parapet with raised border. Pedimented timber dormers.

NW (LEITH STREET) ELEVATION: approximately central timber-panelled 2-leaf door with letterbox fanlight in recessed opening. To left, 3 large windows divided by pilasters. To right, divided by pilasters, 1 large window, similar recessed doorway and at far right timber -panelled 2-leaf door with segment and lozenge design letterbox fanlight. 7 windows at 1st floor, irregularly spaced. 6 windows at 2nd floor. 4 bipartite dormers to roof; small raking pediments, central pair connected by pilastered timber screen surmounted by segmental pediment bearing word 'ESTABLISHED'.

Modern plate glass in timber frames to ground floor. Predominantly 12-pane glazing in sash and case windows to upper floors and dormers. Dormers have timber fascias, lead haffits and part flat, part pitched roofs. Mansard roof; grey tiles. Stone coped brick ridge stack with circular cans to left.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an 'A' Group with Nos 6-20 Waterloo Place, Nos 1-29 Waterloo Place, Waverleygate, Regent Bridge, Register House, Balmoral Hotel and 5-43 Leith Street.

The tenements that now remain on Leith Street were built as upmarket flats on land feued by the magistrates to speculative builders from 1780 onwards. They are important as early examples of speculative tenement design in the New Town, for their continuity of frontage with 1-9 Waterloo Place, and also for their function providing a screen for the rear elevation of Waterloo Place.

Built as a shop at ground floor with residential accommodation above, this building is now used as a bar at ground floor but the use of the upper floors continues to be residential. The change of use is not a new one; in 1896 there was a public house on the site, and in the 20th century, as late as the 1970's, the building was known as the Thistle Inn. This was indicated by signage fixed to the parapet. The segmental pediment which currently bears the word 'established' also used to bear the date 1834. Until the repair and refurbishment of the S side of Leith Street by Bamber, Gray and Partners in 1979-80, the first floor windows were ornamented by architraves and pediments. It is not clear whether these were original or later additions, but they were extant circa 1920.

The west side of Leith Street (demolished in 1965 to make way for the St James Centre) was known as Leith Street Terrace, and featured a pedestrian walkway/ terrace at first storey level, providing access to an upper tier of shops. The basis of this scheme was a design by Robert Adam in 1786; that which was built was a simplified version of Adam's designs (amended possibly by James Salisbury).

References

Bibliography

Appears on Kirkwood's map, 1817. Sasines, S.R.O. O.S. Map, 1853, 1877.T Shepherd MODERN ATHENS (1969). Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991) p328, p448. RCAHMS inventory.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 5-11 (ODD NOS) LEITH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 01:08