Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25535 73537
325535, 673537


John Russell Walker, 1884-6. 4-storey and attic Scots Baronial tenement with shop to ground floor and curvilinear gabled wallhead dormers; 3 bays to Lawnmarket, 1 bay to junction with West Bow, and single bay with 3 storey oriel to corner. Squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with polished dressings (painted to ground). Moulded string courses between ground and 1st floors, and between 3rd and attic floors; cill courses at 1st and 3rd floors; moulded eaves course. Roll-moulded tabbed surrounds to windows.

N (LAWNMARKET) ELEVATION: pilastraded shops to ground floor; narrow pend to outer left with decorative wrought-iron gate. Bipartite windows in right and centre bays above. Finialled shaped wallhead dormers breaking eaves to attic. Chamfered wallhead stack with long and short quoins between right and centre bays.

NW ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled storm door to outer left in ogee-arched roll-moulded surround; 3-storey oriel above with decorative stone parapet to balcony above; bipartite window in shaped wallhead dormer to attic. Pilastraded shop to right at ground floor; bipartite windows and gabletted crowstepped gable to right. Wallhead stack to centre.

4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Tall corniced wallhead stacks with long and short quoins and circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

The picturesque old building previously occupying this site (demolished in 1878) was depicted by Shepherd, by Thomas Hamilton and by Grant, and photographed by Thomas Begbie.



Grant, OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1895) p110, ill p104. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 198. Rock, Joe THOMAS BEGBIE'S EDINBURGH (1992) pl 112.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 332-340 (EVEN NOS) LAWNMARKET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/08/2022 14:55