Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

453-463 LAWNMARKET, INCLUDING WARDROP'S COURT AND 2 LADY STAIR'S CLOSELB29229

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25573 73583
Coordinates
325573, 673583

Description

Stewart Henbest Capper, 1892, incorporating earlier fabric. 5-storey and attic (6 storeys to rear) 9-bay symmetrical tenement with shops to ground floor; 3 3-bay blocks with 2-storey canted oriels on sculpted corbels (emblems of Arts, Sciences and Crafts) to 2nd and 3rd floors, oversailing 4th floor and wide gabled timber dormerheads with paired windows to attic. Coursed stugged grey sandstone with polished red sandstone dressings; pink harl to oriels and 4th and attic floors; painted to ground. Continuous terracotta-balustered balcony to 1st floor. Windows in tabbed surrounds. Flat-arched pend to outer right (entrance to Wardrop's Court) flanked by painted carved timber dragon brackets. Timber panelled door with small-pane glazed fanlight to flats at centre.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: cream harl with red sandstone dressings; broad eaves. 2-bay recessed block to left: flat-arched pend with metal lintel and painted carved timber dragon brackets to left; regularly fenestrated; tripartite dormer to attic. 2-bay slightly advanced block to centre: regularly fenestrated; corbelled corner to upper left. Advanced crowstep-gabled 2-bay block to right: irregularly fenestrated; chamfered corners, corbelled below gable; concrete access balconies with metal brackets and railings to re-entrant angle; older carved panel and modern plaque (see Notes) in wall to ground floor. Recessed block to outer right: 5-storey drum stair tower to centre with finialled bell-cast slated roof and timber boarded door with wrought-iron hinges in hood- and roll-moulded red sandstone surround.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced rubble stacks with tall circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Petition in the name of William Wilson, student residing in University Hall, Riddle's Court, to take down Nos 455-475 Lawnmarket, and build a double tenement of shops and dwelling houses; indicates the connection with Patrick Geddes and his policy of restoration through 'conservative surgery.'. Capper's design echoes that of its timber-gabled predecessor. The carved panel incorporated in the rear wall reads BLISSIT BE THE LORD IN HIS GIFTIS. The modern metal plaque reads 'Lawnmarket Housing Action Area 1988-91. Restored with Grants from the Secretary of State for Scotland and the City of Edinburgh District Council. Edinburgh Old Town Committee for Conservation and Renewal.' Wardrop's Court, to rear, was formed by the demolition in the 1890's of 2 smaller closes, Wardrop's to the NW and Paterson's to the SE.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 8th June 1893. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 197.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 453-463 LAWNMARKET, INCLUDING WARDROP'S COURT AND 2 LADY STAIR'S CLOSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:35