Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25146 76907
325146, 676907


Circa 1815 with later additions. 2-storey 3-bay villa with asymmetric single storey wings and (later) 2-storey N wing making T-plan, set in very large landscaped garden, now public park. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Dividing course between ground and 1st floor. Piended roof, very broad eaves.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated. Glazed timber door with pointed-arched fanlight in chamfered hoodmoulded Gothick surround in central bay; window to 1st floor. Pyramid-roofed single storey pavilion with ornate weather vane to left, linked by modern garage. Single storey pitched roofed extension to right, with glazed Gothick panelled door.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated; central tripartite window at ground floor in N wing. Later tile-hung dormer window to attic.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Stone-coped stacks with circular cans.

FOUNTAIN, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND GATEPOSTS: high coped rubble boundary wall to Laverockbank Road, changing to low coped red sandstone ashlar wall topped by hooped railings to N. Doulton Fountain (vandalised, 1999), with florid Art Nouveau detailing to double basin, scrolled buttresses, circular water container with pyramidal uprights and presentation plaque. Wrought-iron gates and cast-iron gateposts with high quality naturalistic detail.

Statement of Special Interest

Rev Walter Goalen, who built the former Christ Church Episcopal Church in Trinity Road in 1854, lived in Starbank House. On Goalen's death in 1890 the house and grounds were purchased by Leith Town Council. From 1920 to 1932 it housed the Museum of Leith (transferred from the Council Chamber after amalgamation with Edinburgh). The gardens are still a public park (laid out, according to Wallace, by James Simpson, the Leith Burgh Architect, although the contents of the Museum are now in Huntly House. The earthenware (Doulton) fountain in the gardens was donated in 1910 by 'Thomas L Devlin, Esq, JP, Merchant, Newhaven,' a fish salesman and steam fishing vessel owner.



Appears on Kirkwood's 1817 Ordnance Survey map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p613. Wallace TRADITIONS OF TRINITY AND LEITH (1985) pp32-34.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 17 LAVEROCKBANK ROAD, STARBANK HOUSE, WITH FOUNTAIN, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATEPOSTS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:18