Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25337 73422
325337, 673422


1872 and Robert Morham, 1874 (see Notes). Long rectangular-plan 3-storey former barracks with cast-iron deck-access balconies to rear of main block; finialled pavilion-roofed stair towers to centre and corners and crowstepped intervening towers. Rock-faced squared and snecked sandstone with stugged or polished dressings. String courses separating floors of towers; transomed and arrowslit windows, and small rectangular windows under eaves.

N (JOHNSTON TERRACE) ELEVATION: pavilion-roofed projecting centre tower with splayed re-entrant angles, shoulder-arched entrance (plaque VR 1873 over) and bracketed pierced balcony to opening above; transversely-set crowstepped flanking towers. 2 further crowstepped towers to each wing.

E AND W (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: bracketed pierced balconies linking corner towers; crenellated parapets.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced crowstepped centre block with bracketed balcony; cast-iron access balconies supported on cast-iron pillars. Timber panelled doors with 3-pane glazed fanlights.

12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Platformed stacks with circular cans. Grey slates; metal finials and lead flashings to corner towers.

Statement of Special Interest

Former Soldiers' Married Quarters. The building as completed in 1873 was considered unworthy of its prominent site below the Castle, and Robert Morham was commissioned to embellish it with pavilions and towers. Johnston Terrace formed the principal element of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Western Approach to the city. Hamilton was appointed architect to the Commissioners of the 1827 Improvement Act, and carried out the 2 major town planning initiatives for which they were responsible - the W approach - King's Bridge and Johnston Terrace, and the S approach - George IV Bridge, and the link to the Grassmarket - Victoria Street. Hamilton was replaced as architect to the Commissioners in 1834 by George Smith.



Dean of Guild 20th June 1872. Appears on 1877 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 230.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 25 JOHNSTON TERRACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2021 04:49