Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

9 AND 10 HUNTER SQUARE AND 107 AND 108 SOUTH BRIDGELB29125

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25940 73586
Coordinates
325940, 673586

Description

Circa 1790. 3-storey and attic, 5 x 7-bay Classical tenement with altered commercial premises to ground, situated on sloping site with principal elevation to Hunter Square (N) and other elevations to South Bridge (E) and Blair Street (W). Ashlar. Band course, cornice. Raised cills. Pediments to each façade with central lunettes. Later projecting 2-storey integral extension to W (Blair Street), timber at 1st storey.

Principal elevation to N with recessed central timber and glass panelled entrance door with decorative metal panels, set in concave, round-arched doorway with carved tympanum. Pilastered, broken pediment doorpiece. Doric pilasters rising from 1st storey separate bays. Triglyph and paterae frieze. To right, public house returns to W with timber fascia and panelled stall risers. Decorative timber pilasters, some paired and fluted Ionic consoles. Dentilled cornice.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys, plate glass to shop front to ground. Grey slate. Coped gable stacks.

INTERIOR: (partly seen 2007). Comprehensively modernised.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with the South Bridge and Nos 4-13, 19-67 and 87-99 South Bridge, 9 and 10 Hunter Square and 107-108 South Bridge.

This is a fine Classical building with excellent detailing which forms the North West termination for the planned streetscape of the South Bridge (see separate listing). It adds significant streetscape value to the area, especially to Hunter Square and is one of a series of terminating blocks on the bridge, designed to be seen from many angles and integral to the development of South Bridge and Hunter Square. The Bridge was a significant element in the late 18th century town planning of Edinburgh. The public house frontage is likely to date from the early 20th century and has particularly good decorative carving to its pilasters and mullions and is a good quality survival from the period.

The South Bridge was the first large-scale building project in Edinburgh where an attempt was made to have unified facades. The pediments on this building are echoed at intervals along the tenements on both sides of the Bridge. A building of similar style to this one was situated on East side of the High Street as the termination point at the North East of the South Bridge but was replaced in 1923.

Hunter Square and Blair Street were formed shortly after 1786 as part of the South Bridge Improvement Scheme. The South Bridge was erected in 1788 to form a link between the North Bridge and the newly developing South side of the city. The bridge had to follow as straight a line as possible and the Tron Kirk (see separate listing) had to be reduced in size to accommodate the bridge. Hunter Square was then formed behind and around this smaller church. John Baxter, a respected architect, together with John Kay, was responsible for the design of the facades to the tenements on the South Bridge and the alterations to the Tron Kirk and he is likely to have been responsible for designing this building.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

John Ainslie, Map of Old and New Town of Edinburgh and Leith with the proposed Docks, 1804. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map 1849-53. John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984 p234. Andrew G Fraser, The Building of Old College, 1989 p82. www.scran.ac.uk (accessed 08-05-07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9 AND 10 HUNTER SQUARE AND 107 AND 108 SOUTH BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:21