Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1 AND 2 HUNTER SQUARE AND 124 HIGH STREETLB29122

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25897 73624
Coordinates
325897, 673624

Description

Attributed to John Baxter. Circa 1790. 3-storey and attic, 7x4-bay Classical pedimented commercial building with shops to ground occupying prominent site to corner of Hunter Square and High Street. Polished ashlar with raised cills and in-and-out raised quoins. Diocletian window within pediment fronting both Hunter Square. Fluted frieze and cornice to 2nd floor at High Street (N) elevation punctuated with rose roundels; 4-bay attic above surmounted by pediment with broad stack to apex.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Scottish slate. Particularly broad brick and harled stacks with clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Occupying a prominent corner location on the High Street opposite the Tron Kirk (see separate listing) Nos 1 and 2 Hunter Square is a fine late 18th century Classical building designed as part of a unified group, marking the N and W sides of the square. Its simple and refined Classical detailing, including the Diocletion window and the moulded freize, provide a high quality terminus to both the High Street and Hunter Square and add much interest to the streetscape.

Hunter Square was formed around 1786-90 along with Blair Street as part of the South Bridge improvement scheme. John Baxter reduced the size of the Tron Kirk as part of the scheme and may have also been responsible for the bulk of the Hunter Square improvements. The eminent architect James Craig also put forward proposals for this area in 1786 as shown in 'The Making of Classical Edinburgh' p117-8.

The High Street is located at the heart of the Old Town and has World Heritage Site status. Historically the central focus of public, civic and commercial life within the city, the High Street contains many of Edinburgh's most distinguished buildings including St Giles Kirk and Parliament Hall (see separate listings). Its special architectural and historic interest as one of Edinburgh's primary medieval thoroughfares is unparalleled.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey (2007/08).

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OrdnanceSurvey map (1855). E J MacRae, The Royal Mile (1962) p41. John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p2. Charles McKean, Edinburgh - An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) p29.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 AND 2 HUNTER SQUARE AND 124 HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:11