Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 26131 73232
326131, 673232


Early 19th century. 4-storey and basement, 15- and 8-bay block of Classical tenements forming W and part of N side of Hill Square with 4 bays to Hill Place. Squared and coursed, droved sandstone, chamfered rusticated ashlar to ground, rubble to rear. Stepped entrance platts oversailing basement. Band courses above basement and ground, cill course to 4th storey, cornice. Raised cills. Round-arched openings to ground at Hill Place. 6-panel timber entrance doors with rectangular fanlights above with margined glazing pattern.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, some blind windows to Hill Place. Coped gable and ridge stacks. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: part seen (2007). Original floor plans to flats largely extant. Some simple cornicing. Alterations to ground floor at nos 3-10 to form offices. Linking corridor to Surgeon's Hall (see separate listing) from N elevation of Nos 6 and 7. 2nd storey of Nos 7 and 8 constitute museum rooms of Surgeon's Hall museum - one room with piers and coffered, coved ceiling (see Notes).

WALL AND RAILINGS: low coping at street elevation to E and S (Hill Square), surmounted with decorative iron railings with pineapple finials.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a particularly fine row of little externally altered, early Classical tenement buildings with good detailing, which form the West side and part of the North side of Hill Square. The uniform appearance of the tenements and coherence of design, especially in the entrance doors and glazing pattern is particularly notable. The Classical design of the buildings was a common feature in the expansion of Edinburgh in the late 18th and early 19th centuries and constitutes much of the important and distinctive character of residential property within the city.

This block was originally part of a unified scheme of tenement buildings around Hill Square with a central open garden. This block, No 12 Hill Square (see separate listing) and the garden survive. Squares were an important aspect of Classical town planning and they are a particular feature of the townscape throughout the 18th and 19th century development of Edinburgh.

The museum rooms in Nos 7 and 8 were created in 1908-9 as part of the expansion of Surgeon's Hall by the Edinburgh architect A F Balfour Paul.

Hill Place and Hill Square were created from land feued by James Hill in 1808.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.



John Wood, Plan of the City of Edinburgh, 1823. E J MacRae, The Heritage of Greater Edinburgh, 1947 p20. John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p248.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-10 (INCLUSIVE) HILL SQUARE AND 16, 17 AND 18 HILL PLACE INCLUDING WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/11/2023 17:36