Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

14 HIGH STREET, 'SEDAN CHAIR HOUSE'LB29059

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26123 73663
Coordinates
326123, 673663

Description

18th century. Single-story ancillary store with lean-to roof situated against walling on W side of Tweedale Court. Squared and snecked rubble. Moulded string course at lintel level. Timber 3-leaf door. Timber dentils at eaves. Grey graded Scottish slate.

INTERIOR: Two notably substantial timber joists supported on stone corbels. Timber roof beams also supported on run of corbels.

Statement of Special Interest

The 'Sedan Chair House' is a rare survival of an 18th century ancillary structure within the Closes of the High Street. It adjoins a freestanding section of wall (see separate listing) that is thought to survive from the original City Wall of around 1450. The notion that this simple lean-to structure was originally used to store a Sedan Chair is long-standing, although Buildings of Scotland suggests that, from what is known of Sedan Chair use in Edinbugh, this may be unlikely. The sedan chair reached the height of its popularity in Edinburgh during the 18th century. In 1687, six chairs were available for public hire, rising to 180 hackney-chairs and 50 private chairs by 1779. The main sedan-chair stance was at the Tron Kirk (see separate listing). By 1850, horse-drawn carriages had all but superceded this method of transport.

The High Street is located at the heart of the Old Town and has World Heritage Site status. Historically the central focus of public, civic and commercial life within the city, the High Street contains many of Edinburgh's most distinguished buildings and its special architectural and historic interest as one of the City's primary thoroughfares is unparalleled.

Part of a 'B' Group with Tweeddale House (see separate listing) highlighting its contextual interest.

List description updated at resurvey (2007/08).

References

Bibliography

John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p210. Charles McKean, Edinburgh - An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) p28. Inventory 41 - RCAHMS

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14 HIGH STREET, 'SEDAN CHAIR HOUSE'

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/10/2019 17:36