Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 26124 73656
326124, 673656


Substantial fragment of walling running N to S at W side of Tweeddale Court, date and purpose uncertain, but comparatively early and perhaps a fragment of the 1450 town wall. Rubble-built with shallow cavetto-moulded cope. Truncated at S end with 18th century dressings. 18th century 'Sedan Chair Hous'' (see separate listing) lean-to adjoining E side. A further stretch of wall of similar construction and massing continues to the S of Tweedale House following the same line.

Statement of Special Interest

These two fragments of wall possibly contain the only parts of the original town wall of 1430 that have not been incorporated into the fabric of later buildings. Its lack of original openings, including a blocked segmental-arched infill, and scale (20 feet at its highest) suggest a non-domestic, possibly defensive function. Adjoining the wall at the entrance to Tweeddale Court are a pair of early decorative pedestrian 2-leaf wrought-iron gates.

Edinburgh's approach to city wall construction had a lasting effect on the town plan and the height of its buildings. The original wall, built between 1450 - 1475 is also known as the 'King's Wall'. The later Flodden Wall 1514 - 1560 running from the Castle to the Pleasance was also built for defensive purposes, but had the effect of retaining expansion Southwards for over 200 years. The Telfer Wall of 1628 - 1636 stretched down to the Grassmarket and south just beyond Greyfriars.

List description revised as part of the Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey (2007/08).



John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p234.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, TWEEDALE COURT, WALLING TO WEST OF COURT AND TO SOUTH OF TWEEDALE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 02:28