Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

221-231 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREETLB29048

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
06/04/2018
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25846 73653
Coordinates
325846, 673653

Description

Circa 1795, incorporating earlier fabric and with later alterations. 5-storey and attic 9-bay tenement with shops to ground floor; tall truncated wing to rear between North Fowlis' Close and Geddes Entry. Ashlar-faced, rubble to rear. Narrow 4th bay from left with steep stair to flats at ground, blind windows at 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors above. Pend to Old Stamp Office Close to outer right (see Notes); pend to North Fowlis' Close (No 229) in 3rd bay from left. Narrow wing between North Fowlis' Close and Geddes Entry with blind windows to lower floors and rendered wallhead stack.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: segmental-arched pend (Old Stamp Office Close) to outer left; tripartite windows with relieving arches above. Wallhead gable (rebuilt and rendered) to centre.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced ridge stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

The shop at ground floor was occupied by James Gillespie of Spylaw, a tobacco and snuff-merchant who bequeathed much of his property to the Merchant Company for the foundation of a charitable school and for the maintenance of old men and women. The former Stamp Office building, at the foot of Stamp Office Close, is marked on Ainslie's 1804 plan of Edinburgh.

Category changed from B to A, 19 December 2002.

References

Bibliography

Appears on Edgar's 1742 plan of Edinburgh. RCAHMS INVENTORY, EDINBURGH (1951) No 26. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 202.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 221-231 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:54