Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

123 HIGH STREETLB29040

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/09/1988
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25993 73681
Coordinates
325993, 673681

Description

Early 18th century, with later alterations and incorporating earlier fabric. Part of tenement reduced in height circa 1970 (see Notes); now 2 storeys. Ground floor painted channelled ashlar; modern 3-bay shopfront; door to basement at outer right; 4-bay 1st floor above band course rendered with raised chamfered ashlar margins; regular fenestration; modern timber doors. Rubble built-in pend of North Gray's Close.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-storey 2-bay random rubble-built; roll-moulded doorway (possibly 16th century); 2nd doorway to right; chamfered ashlar window margins; lowest large window has lowered cill.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows; modern plate glass shop windows; some replacement glazing to rear. Modern roof behind continuous timber fascia.

INTERIOR: not seen 2002.

Statement of Special Interest

This form of tenement was a typical sight on the High Street during the period but relatively few examples have survived. The early 18th century Morocco Land in the Canongate (rebuilt by Robert Hurd in 1956-7) is comparable. North Gray's Close and the long, narrow burgage plots extending to the rear of the High Street conform to the mediaeval town plan and this pattern can still be discerned on the site.

Photographs in the NMRS collection (ED/5048, ED/ 5049) dated 1970 show the 5-storey and attic 4-bay tenement still intact prior to its demolition circa 1970 which left only the ground and first floors standing.

References

Bibliography

Gray's Close marked on William Edgar's City and Castle of Edinburgh map of 1742. Grant OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1885) p208. Edinburgh City Archive, Dean of Guild alteration plans dated 3.1.1895. RCAHMS Inventory 32 (1951).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 123 HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:04