Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

62-70 Henderson Row, EdinburghLB29024

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/12/1974
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24810 74772
Coordinates
324810, 674772

Description

Circa 1863. 4-storey, 4 bay plain classical tenement. Ashlar, tripartite windows to outer bays. Architraved windows with cornices at 1st floor. Ground floor of no 68 in use as a shop.

Statement of Special Interest

The estates surrounding the old village of Stockbridge, to the northwest of the New Town, were feued for residential development from the early nineteenth century.

The 62-70 Henderson Row feu was originally laid out in 1821 as part of scheme for the trustees of James Rose's estate (which bordered the Heriot estate and Edinburgh Academy). Kirkwood's map of 1821 shows the intended development of the feu as the extension to the northeast corner of Saxe-Coburg Street (originally East Claremont Street), however the feu was not developed during that period. The tenement block first appears on the Bartholomew's Post Office Directory map of 1865.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as 'Henderson Row 62-70'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 138003

Kirkwood, J. (1821) Kirkwood s new plan of the City of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: s.n.

Bartholomew, J. (1865) Hislop's new plan of Edinburgh & Leith with suburbs …constructed for the Post Office Directory. Edinburgh: Bartholomew.

Gifford, J. McWilliam, C. and Walker, D. (1991) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. London: Penguin Books. p. 413.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Southeast elevation, 62-70 Henderson Row, Edinburgh, cars in foreground, taken on clear day.

Printed: 17/11/2019 07:24