Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

74-84 (EVEN NOS) GRASSMARKETLB28942

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25444 73407
Coordinates
325444, 673407

Description

17th century (dated 1634), rebuilt 1929-30, Ebebezer J MacRae. 4-storey and attic 5-bay tenement with public house to ground floor; lower advanced stair tower to centre. Random rubble. Relieving arches to 1st and 2nd floor windows. Taller 2 bay block to left: steep roof with piend-roofed dormer; crowstepped gable to right. Lower 2 bay block to right with catslide roof: crowstepped dormerhead to 3rd floor breaking eaves; small window in gable. Projecting stair tower: rollmoulded doorway; original lintel stone (see Notes); moulded string course to 1st and 2nd floors. Modern front to public house.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced ashlar end stacks with circular cans. Graded grey slates

Statement of Special Interest

Lintel (now very worn) dated 1634 and inscribed 'Blessed be God for all his Giftis' between initials IL and GK, standing for James Lightbodie and his wife Geillis, daughter of Walter Kniblo. Old photographs (NMRS) show that the elevation was drastically altered for the City by MacRae, moving the stair tower to the centre and widening it, narrowing the 2 bays to left and right, and removing the wallhead chimney of that to left. The long rectangle of Grassmarket was already a suburb and a secondary market place by 1500. After the Battle of Flodden in 1513 the city walls were strengthened and the Grassmarket and Cowgate enclosed by the Flodden Wall. Agricultural produce was sold in the Grassmarket until well into the 20th century; old photographs show up-ended carts and the bars and hostels associated with the market. It was also a place of public execution.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY, EDINBURGH (1951) p105. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 228.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 74-84 (EVEN NOS) GRASSMARKET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:07