Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

30-40 (EVEN NOS) GRASSMARKET, INCLUDING WHITE HART INNLB28938

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25347 73369
Coordinates
325347, 673369

Description

James Lithgow (builder), circa 1740, restored Gray Marshall and Associates, 1994-5. 4-storey 13-bay double tenement with restaurants including The White Hart Inn to ground. Lime rendered with indented sandstone margins (painted to ground); random rubble with polished sandstone dressings to rear. Nepus gables with apex stacks to bays 4 and 5 from left and bays 3, 4 and 5 from right. 3 piend-roofed dormers to attic. Pilastraded shop front to right. Stone-vaulted pend to Dunlop's Court in 5th bay from right. 2-leaf timber panelled door to White Hart Inn to left, with small-pane glazed fanlight above in ornate doorpiece: entablature supported by thistle-carved consoles; swan-necked pediment clasping aedicule with carved stag, flanked by obelisks; small-pane glazing to 4 windows to right, flanked by pilasters. Small pend to outer left leading to rear court.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 piend-roofed semi-octagonal stair towers. Piend-roofed dormers to attic.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows above ground floor. Grey slates. Stone skews. Corniced stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

The Grassmarket was the principal arrival and departure point in Edinburgh for coaches and wagons, and several busy coaching inns can be seen in old photographs. Records of the White Hart Inn go back to 1516, and well-known guests included Cromwell, Robert Burns (in 1791) and Dorothy and Mary Wordsworth (in 1803). The White Hart is presumably that associated with David I and the foundation of Holyrood Abbey. The building was damaged in a Zeppelin raid in 1916 (including loss of harling). It was restored by Gray Marshall and Associates, Architects, for the Old Town Housing Association in 1994-5 (re-roofed, wallhead gable at No 32 rebuilt; chimneys rebuilt, internal refurbishment etc). The building has considerable townscape importance as part of the N frontage of the Grassmarket, below the Castle rock, and is also important both for its historical associations and because, despite some changes, both the general configuration of the building and the frontages of the commercial premises at ground floor remain in reasonably original condition.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 228. Information courtesy of Jocelyn Cuncliffe of Gray Marshall Associates, 2000.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 30-40 (EVEN NOS) GRASSMARKET, INCLUDING WHITE HART INN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 09:53