Hardy and Wight, 1884. 2-storey, rectangular-plan, 4-bay gabled Gothic church building in irregular terrace, with projecting porch and corner turret to left. Advanced, asymmetrical 4-storey 3-bay baronial tenement block canted to street line (shops at ground floor) with conically-roofed bartizan to right. Squared and snecked bull-faced grey sandstone with polished dressings. Moulded band between ground and 1st floors. Windows in roll-moulded surrounds.
CHURCH: S ELEVATION: pitch-roofed projecting porch to right, with angle buttress to left, lit by small cusped lancet in W return; 2-leaf clouted timber boarded door in hoodmoulded pointed-arch surround with carved label stops; initials (WR) in carved panel above. Single window to left, stone-mullioned bipartite to centre, with relieving arches; carved inscription panel (see Notes) in decorative tripartite frame above; plate tracery in hoodmoulded stone-mullioned and transomed 3-light window above (leaded panes above, later glazing below). Corner turret to left above angle buttresses, with stone ribbed spire and pierced trefoil openings.
W ELEVATION: 4 hoodmoulded lancets with carved label stops flanked by stepped buttresses at 1st floor. Lower level rendered.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: circular window in gable wall of church; wall stack to left; piend-roofed projection to NE.
Interior radically altered.
TENEMENT: advanced bay to right: finialled crowstepped gable; shop window to right, timber panelled door to left at ground; stone-mullioned bipartite windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; corbelled band between 1st and 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd floors; initials in decorative panel over 3rd floor window. 2-bays to left: shop window to left at ground, 2-leaf timber panelled door to centre; barred metal gate to pend at right in round-arched roll-moulded surround with colonnettes above chamfered corners; stone-mullioned bipartites to left, single windows to right at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; finialled gabled dormerheads breaking eaves (crowstepped to left, segmental-headed to right, initials in gables). 2-stage bartizan corbelled out to outer left with decorative wrought-iron finial to fish-scale-slated roof.
Replacement windows to ground floor of church building; 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to tenement. Grey slates. Stone skews. Rendered end stacks (corbelled out to centre) to tenement with some octagonal cans. Terracotta ridge to church roof.
Statement of Special Interest
The west elevation of the church incorporates part of Scheduled Monument, No 3012 and is excluded from the listing.
Place of worship (former Robertson Memorial Mission) no longer in use as such.
Inscription reads 'New Greyfriars Mission Buildings. To the glory of God and in loving memory of the Rev. William Robertson DD, for nearly 40 years minister of this Parish. AD 1884.'
Listed building record and statutory address updated, 2015. Formerly known as '4-10 (Even Nos) Grassmarket, Including Former church and Fragment of Flodden Wall.'