Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1 GRASSMARKET AND 2 KING'S STABLES ROADLB28932

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/04/1986
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25255 73323
Coordinates
325255, 673323

Description

Circa 1875, rebuilt (after fire) James Maclean 1897, with later alterations and additions. 4-storey and attic tenement with Scots Baronial details including corner bartizans, on splayed corner s's Stables Road; 6-bay rear wing and projecting 3-storey wing to King's Stables Road; modern single storey triangular infill. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with polished dressings; rear wing random rubble. Roll-moulded and tabbed surrounds to 1st and 2nd storey windows of principal block, shoulder-arched to 3rd; moulded string course between storeys; machicolated corbelled course between 2nd and 3rd; gabled dormerheads with crescent finials to attic windows breaking eaves.

NE (GRASSMARKET) ELEVATION: entrance in centre bay: timber panelled door with semicircular fanlight in segmental-arched moulded surround with horse-shoe arch within. Window (modern glazing) to right and 2-leaf timber panelled door to left in broad segmental-arched openings. Regularly fenestrated above. Crenellated corner bartizan tower with 2 carved panels corbelled out above ground floor to outer right (formerly had conical fish-scale slated roof).

N (KING'S STABLES ROAD) ELEVATION: window in broad segmental-arched opening to ground; regularly fenestrated above. Long and short quoins; corner bartizan with conical slated roof corbelled out at 3rd floor to right. Elevation of 2-storey crowstep-gabled projecting wing to outer right: modern garage entrances to ground; regularly fenestrated; carved panel and corbelled out apex stack above; small castellated corner bartizans at 2nd floor to right and left; chamfered corner to Lady Wynd.

REAR WING: regularly fenestrated. Moulded string course below attic level; crowstepped gable to centre with wallhead stack and moulded arch over window; small corner bartizan to outer right.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates; decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Corniced stacks with some octagonal cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Townscape importance as western termination to Grassmarket. The long rectangle of Grassmarket was already a suburb and a secondary market place by 1500. After the Battle of Flodden in 1513 the city walls were strengthened and the Grassmarket and Cowgate enclosed by the Flodden Wall. Agricultural produce was sold in the Grassmarket until well into the 20th century; old photographs show upended carts and the bars and hostels associated with the market. It was also a place of public execution.

References

Bibliography

Main block appears on 1877 OS map. Alterations and Additions (Jubilee Lodging House) Dean of Guild 14 October 1897. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 226.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 GRASSMARKET AND 2 KING'S STABLES ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2022 12:27