Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

32 AND 34 GEORGE IV BRIDGE AND 21 AND 23 CANDLEMAKER ROW, WITH RETAINING WALL AND RAILINGSLB28891

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/04/1977
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25683 73322
Coordinates
325683, 673322

Description

George Smith, circa 1850, and 1857. 2-storey 3-bay terraced bow-ended shop to N (3 stories to Candlemaker Row) and single storey shop (2 storeys to Candlemaker Row) to S on triangular site at junction of George IV Bridge and Candlemaker Row (see Notes). Droved ashlar with polished dressings, coursed sandstone to Candlemaker Row. Moulded eaves cornice and parapet to 2-storey block. Keyblocked lugged architraves to upper windows.

E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: slightly recessed 3-bay block to right: modern shop-front within Corninthianesque pilasters to ground; 3 windows above (centre window blinded); pilaster strip to left at 1st floor. Single window at 1st floor to S-facing bowed elevation. 2-leaf glazed door to shop to left; later windows flanked by paired fluted Corinthian pilasters.

W (CANDLEMAKER ROW) ELEVATION: later shop inserted at cellar level of No 34 George IV Bridge. Pilastraded shop front to No 21 Candlemaker Row; glazed timber panelled door with small-pane glazed fanlight, flanked by windows; 2 windows to each floor above (3 blind); wallhead stack at parapet.

4-pane and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to upper storeys. Corniced ashlar end stack to S elevation. Leaded flat roof concealed behind parapet.

RETAINING WALL AND RAILINGS: ashlar-coped coursed sandstone retaining wall to junction of George IV Bridge and Candlemaker Row with decorative cast-iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Site feued by Moses Jacob from the Improvement Commissioners. Dean of Guild drawings of 1857 are for the single storey S extension, and stipulate that the new shop must conform to 'Mr Jacob's house adjoining' in materials and workmanship. George IV Bridge was part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western approaches to the city. Hamilton was replaced by George Smith as architect to the Commissioners to the Improvement Act in 1834.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 1st April 1857. No 32 appears on 1854 OS map, No 34 on that of 1877. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 226.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 32 AND 34 GEORGE IV BRIDGE AND 21 AND 23 CANDLEMAKER ROW, WITH RETAINING WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:37