Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

21-25 (INCLUSIVE NOS) GEORGE IV BRIDGE, 17 MERCHANT STREET AND 31 AND 33 CANDLEMAKER ROWLB28889

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25662 73365
Coordinates
325662, 673365

Description

Circa 1845 (probably George Smith). 3-storey 5-bay tenement with Jacobean detailing and shops to ground floor to George IV Bridge; 5 storeys to Merchant Street; 3-storey polygonal/canted extension to Candlemaker Row. Cream ashlar (painted to ground) to George IV Bridge, Merchant Street, and extension to Candlemaker Row (coursed rubble to upper storeys of Candlemaker Row).

E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: base course; consoled cornice to pilastrated ground floor; eaves course and decorative parapet with obelisks to corners. Corniced and consoled windows in moulded surrounds with strapwork over to 1st floor; consoled and corniced windows to 2nd floor. Timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights to flats at centre and to shops.

N (MERCHANT STREET) ELEVATION: 5 storeys; restaurant and door to flats at ground floor regularly fenestrated; consoled and corniced windows to 3rd floor. Stepped and scrolled gable with apex stack and obelisks to corners.

W (CANDLEMAKER ROW) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled door to centre; tripartite window to centre at 2nd floor; otherwise regularly fenestrated. Later dormers to attic and large wallhead stack with window.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to 2nd floor; 4-pane to 1st floor. Corniced end stacks (polygonal to ends) with circular cans; 2 corniced polygonal chimney stalks to SE.

Statement of Special Interest

George IV Bridge was part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western Approaches to the city. Hamilton was replaced as architect to the Commissioners in 1834 by George Smith. The architectural style specified by the Commissioners of the 1827 Improvement Act for the new buildings associated with the developments (including this building) was 'Old Flemish,' a variation on Scotch Baronial owing much to the detailing of Heriot's Hospital.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1854 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 226.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 21-25 (INCLUSIVE NOS) GEORGE IV BRIDGE, 17 MERCHANT STREET AND 31 AND 33 CANDLEMAKER ROW

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 23:17