Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

DUNLUGAS HOUSELB2888

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/02/1972
Supplementary Information Updated
04/03/1994
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Alvah
NGR
NJ 69560 55491
Coordinates
369560, 855491

Description

Dated 1793, with earlier house dated 1680, adjoining at irregular angle to rear. Work by John Smith of Aberdeen, circa 1820. Interior work by John Fowler, circa 1965.

1680 HOUSE: orientated E-W; 2-storey, 4 irregular bays, with later piend-roofed additional bay to E, adjoined to 1793 house at W with cluster of 19th century linking blocks. Harled, with Turriff red sandstone margins; chamfered reveals. Door to S, windows flanking at ground, windows at 1st floor close under eaves. 4 windows to each floor at rear, mostly enlarged. Garages inserted in piend-roofed addition.

1793 HOUSE: 2-storey raised over basement, 5-bay. Squared and coursed whinstone with galletting, suggesting block and sneck pattern; polished red and cream sandstone dressings; band course, eaves course, raised margins, rusticated quoins.

W ELEVATION: advanced, pedimented bay to centre, horseshoe stone stair with wrought-iron balustrade and ashlar piers, leading to entrance at principal floor. Tripartite door; deep-set 4-panelled door with strip fanlight flanked by paired, engaged Roman Doric, fluted piers, blind side-lights, carried frieze and cornice. Window above at 1st floor, bulls-eye to pediment with 3 dies. Windows to flanking bays at each floor; taller to principal floor.

S ELEVATION: garden terraced to level of principal floor; low door to right of centre with windows flanking. 2 windows to outer bays at 1st floor. Round-arched window to attic at centre with keystone and impost blocks, between paired stacks.

N ELEVATION: later (1820?), piend-roofed addition adjoining basement, window to right return, door to left; 2 windows to principal floor. 1st floor and above detailed as S elevation.

E ELEVATION: centre bay advanced with round-arched stair window, detailed as above. Irregular harled 19th century additions rising to 1st floor, linking to earlier house. To right, later doorway at ground, window to each floor in outer bay. Further door and windows to basement to left, and 2 windows at each floor above.

Sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern predominating. Regrettable concrete tiles to pitch and platform roof, cupola lighting stair. Ashlar coped skews with skewblocks.

Broad, corniced and margined paired ashlar stacks with decorative cans.

INTERIOR: 1793 house; tripartite vestibule door, half- glazed,

with semi-circular fanlight. Hall, with paired Ionic columns and

pilasters between doors to principal rooms. Dog-leg ashlar stair

lit by round-arched stair window and cupola.

LIBRARY: to left, former dining room; circa 1830, trompe l'oeil illusionistic painted plaster ceiling, simulating carved and panelled

wood. Panelled dado. Grey marble fireplace.

DRAWING ROOM: to right, by John Fowler, circa 1965? hung with pleated grey silk, plasterwork ceiling and cornice, white marble fireplace with Neo-classical brass grate.

DINING ROOM: former library to rear; marble fireplace with window above. Door to terrace (see notes). 6 panelled doors, with panelled ingoes.

Statement of Special Interest

George Ogilvy of Dunlugas built the 1680 house; the Ogilvys owned much of the Deveron Valley. The estate passed to Hans George Leslie, who built a new house in 1793. The estate later passed to the Urquharts of Craigston. The house is surrounded by parkland and rich plantations. The architect of the 1793 house is unknown. John Smith is documented as working here circa 1820 (see THE BUILDER); the library ceiling may

have been painted under his direction. The walled garden, former stables and bridge, to the N are listed separately.

References

Bibliography

NSA, (1842), p164. J Macaulay THE CLASSICAL COUNTRY HOUSE IN SCOTLAND 1660-1800 (1987) p190. THE BUILDER Vol X p506. Dunlugas Estate Plans in possession of Bruce Pollard Urquhart of Craigston, some copied in NMRS; Wm Urquhart LANDS OF DENLUGAS (1770) (plan).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNLUGAS HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2018 08:55