Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

62-66 (EVEN NOS) GEORGE STREET, BANK OF SCOTLAND, INCLUDING 48 ROSE STREET NORTH LANELB28873

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
13/01/1966
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25200 73965
Coordinates
325200, 673965

Description

David and John Bryce, 1874-78. 3-storey attic and basement 9-bay Italianate former palazzo bank. Polished cream sandstone ashlar (stonecleaned). Blind balustrade to basement area. Banded vermiculated piers at ground; 3 Ionic porches, that at centre with coupled columns, with arched pilastered doorways with shell tympana and 2-leaf panelled doors. Corinthian aedicules at 1st floor, emphasised at centre. Lugged architraves to 2nd floor windows. Bracketed cornice and balustraded parapet with dormers set behind.

2-storey 4-bay stugged ashlar range to lane with older crowstepped gable and corniced stack to E

Timber sash and case windows; 6-and 4-pane. Corniced ashlar stacks; grey slates.

INTERIOR: pilastered lobby leads to off-centre Banking Hall with 4 polished Peterhead granite Corinthian columns leading to top lit telling area, with elaborate consoled and coved ceiling; original floor tiles survive under carpet, original furniture by John Taylor & Son of Edinburgh; mahogany counter with mahogany and brass screen behind; etched glass throughout; consoled pedimented door to Manager?s office, divided from Interview Room by etched glazed screen, both with marble chimneypieces. Room to rear of lobby with further marble chimneypiece. Staircases servicing all floors at either end of the building. At 1st floor, 3-bay former Boardroom with panelled dado, embossed ceiling and frieze; chimneypiece replaced by patched dado. Further open stair to 2nd floor (all stairs with cast-iron banisters). At 2nd floor 2 timber chimneypieces to larger rooms; considerable alterations. Large walk-in safes at both basement and ground levels.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as the head Edinburgh office of the Glasgow based Union Bank. The Banking Hall is by John Bryce; it was refurbished in 1977 by Thomas Alexander. Vacated by the bank in 1995.

References

Bibliography

THE BUILDER 26 June 1875; 21 September 1878. F Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) II p151. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) pp302-3. Valerie Fiddes and Alistair Rowan MR DAVID BRYCE 1803-1876 (1976) pp99-100. Dean of Guild plans 16 July 1874. Perspective in possession of Bank.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 62-66 (EVEN NOS) GEORGE STREET, BANK OF SCOTLAND, INCLUDING 48 ROSE STREET NORTH LANE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 14:40