Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DUFF HOUSE, FISHING TEMPLELB2885

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
04/03/1994
Supplementary Information Updated
30/03/2004
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Alvah
NGR
NJ 69065 62848
Coordinates
369065, 862848

Description

William Adam, circa 1741. 2-stage, round fishing temple, on island in River Deveron to E of Duff House, currently roofless and overgrown (1990). Polished ashlar with raised and moulded architraves, lugged door surrounds, base course, band course, moulded cornice. Horseshoe stair with moulded treads and simple wrought-iron balustrade, to doorway of principal upper stage, in advanced pedimented bay; doorway below at ground under steps. Further advanced pedimented bay opposite blank. 4 tall windows to principal stage, smaller windows below.

2 basket-arched fireplaces inside, that to upper stage with finely

roll-moulded arrises. Moulded, corniced ashlar stack, with clasping vase-shaped flues.

Statement of Special Interest

The Fishing Temple, domed and surmounted by a gilded figure of Fame, is illustrated in the above portrait of Lady Braco by Mosman. William Adam's Accounts to Lord Braco (in evidence for the Braco case) refer to plans for this Temple, built on an island in the River Deveron, as well as the Temple on Doun Hill (listed separately in Macduff Burgh), and

designs for a Mausoleum (which was not built, but may be the structure illustrated in a portrait of William Duff, Lord Braco by William Mosman in 1741; see Holloway). Tait has sited this temple incorrectly on the Hill of Bauchlaw to the SW of Duff House, and suggests that it was designed by William Bowie; the above evidence suggests otherwise. The plans quoted, thought to be by Bowie, SRO RHP31, 394, are therefore probably not for the Duff House Estate, as catalogued. Upgraded from category B to A on 30.3.2004.

References

Bibliography

MONTCOFFER PAPERS, Aberdeen University Library; Adam to Lord Braco A/194(2)/4/1, Account 1741. (Currently being re-catalogued). William

Mosman "Jean Grant, Lady Braco and her son Lewis", (oil painting) dated 1741. (See J Holloway PATRONS AND PAINTERS: ART IN SCOTLAND 1650-1760, NGS, (1989) p97. A A Tait, THE LANDSCAPE GARDEN IN SCOTLAND, (1980) p69. D Souter A GENERAL VIEW OF AGRICULTURE IN BANFF, (1812) p82.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUFF HOUSE, FISHING TEMPLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 22:53