Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25042 73974
325042, 673974


Circa 1775; centre block rebuilt Hamilton Paterson & Rhind, 1901; redeveloped as one by Michael Laird & Partners, 1991. Pair of 3-storey and attic 3-bay former classical houses with twin shopfronts built out at ground (No 85 by Campbell & Arnott, 1991), flanking projecting 3-storey and attic block (formerly single house). Droved cream sandstone ashlar (cleaned), flanking polished red sandstone.

NOS 81 & 85: modern corniced plate glass shopfronts; lugged architraves to 1st floor windows; centre windows with consoled pediment, flanking ones corniced. Pair of bowed piend-roofed slate-hung dormers to each.

Timber sash and case 12-pane windows. Ashlar coped skews; stone stacks (rebuilt at centre - corniced ashlar - and to W); grey slates.

NO 83: channelled pilasters frame each floor. Modern plate glass 3-bay shopfront at ground; single massive shallow-arched window at 1st floor with bracketed cornice; pair of windows at 2nd floor (centre pilaster) with slightly canted 3-light glazing; cornice and 3 pedestals with ball finials (railings between). Massive full width 6-light dormer with return lights.

INTERIOR: completely rebuilt as 2 ground floor and basement shops and modern open plan offices.

Statement of Special Interest

These were originally plain houses. Nos 79-87 (and perhaps No 77) were built together on a line and subsequently received identical dressings at 1st floor (No 83 was completely rebuilt), see separate listings. The upper levels of the facade of No 83 were largely reconstructed in 1991 following the original scheme presented to the Dean of Guild, rather than the amended scheme, which had been built and subsequently partially demolished. A Group with Nos 77-87 (odd nos) George Street as a significant surviving part of the original fabric of Edinburgh?s New Town, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain.



Kirkwood?s Map of 1819. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) p303. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp91-3.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 81-85 (ODD NOS) GEORGE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/01/2022 03:30