Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BRIDGE OF ALVAHLB2883

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/02/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Alvah
NGR
NJ 68020 61067
Coordinates
368020, 861067

Description

1768; built 1771-3, designed by Duke of Fife, possibly with Thomas Reid, and James Robertson, mason. Single span, segmentally arched bridge over gorge of River Deveron, incorporating small room in W abutment. Sneck-harled, random rubble with ashlar coped parapet; splayed at abutments. Mural room with pointed arched openings; doorway to N, window to S, pointed barrel-vault and fireplace to interior.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the picturesque landscape at Duff House, The Bridge of Alvah was begun in 1771. Although Thomas White drew up a landscape design for Duff House, it is possible that Thomas Reid, landscape gardener from Banff, may have been involved with the design; he had the nursery at Colleonard to the W, and was working at Duff at the time, building the bridge at Bauchlaw in 1770. Letters in the Montcoffer Papers, currently being re-catalogued by Aberdeen University Library, ask the

Earl of Fife for additional directions about the room in the bridge

which, according to local tradition was built for the Earl to entertain local girls. Rails were put on the bridge in 1773; they do not appear on Cordiner's gouache of 1795, but are shown on Purser's drawing. The Gothick summerhouse on the hill to the NW of the Bridge is now Craig Cottage, listed separately. Other items in this important landscape; the Fishing Temple and the Temple of Doune by William Adam, the Mausoleum and Craig Cottage are listed separately in Alvah Parish and Banff and Macduff Burghs.

References

Bibliography

MONTCOFFER PAPERS, Aberdeen University Library; Plans of Bridge, Accounts and Letters relating to Buildings, 1768; A/32(1)/4/1, A/82(1)/1/3/1. T Cordiner, "View of The Bridge of Alvah" (1795) (gouache), illustrated in: A A Tait THE LANDSCAPE GARDEN IN SCOTLAND

(1980) p71. W Purser, "The Bridge of Alvah", (circa 1800) (drawing), and engraving by R Brandard, in NMRS. D Souter, GENERAL VIEW OR AGRICULTURE IN BANFFSHIRE, (1812) p82.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRIDGE OF ALVAH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 14:07