There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- see notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Last Date Amended: 17/07/2015
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24558 73076
- Coordinates: 324558, 673076
R & R Dickson. 1826. 1-25 Gardner s Crescent: plain classical crescent of 4-storey tenements with basement, continuous with 4-storey V-plan block at corner of Morrison Street. Nos 1-6 comprise 17 bays linking Morrison Street and crescent proper (Nos 7-25A), which extends in unbroken sweep of 52 bays. Polished sandstone ashlar; basement droved. Base course; cill course to 1st floor; plain 2-storey giant order to 1st and 2nd floors; projecting cornice beneath 3rd floor; banded cornice; blocking course. Oversailing platts to entrance doors; doors to basement beneath; architraved segmental-topped door and window openings to ground floor; panelled aprons to ground floor windows of Nos 7-25A; regular fenestration to all upper floors and basement.
No 1. 4 bay. Recessed door to left; single windows to bays to right; plain moulding to pediment.
No 2. 3 bay. Recessed door to right; single windows to bays to left; no giant order; non-projecting cornice beneath 3rd floor.
No 3. 3 bay. Recessed door to right; single windows to bays to left; pilasters between windows of 3rd floor.
No 4. 3 bay. Recessed door to left; single windows to bays to right; no giant order; non-projecting cornice beneath 3rd floor.
Nos 5 and 6. 2 recessed doors to right; single windows to bays to left single windows to all floors of bay in return to right (ground floor window blind); plain moulding to pediment.
Nos 7 and 7A. 5 bay. Includes 5-storey square pyramid-roofed tower joining Nos 1-6 with crescent proper. Steps to central 6-panelled timber entrance door; single windows to bays to right; bay to left forms angle to square tower; additional window to right of uppermost tower floor; re-entrant angle of tower regularly fenestrated.
Nos 8-25A. 48 bay. 6 sections of 8 bays with regular sequence of windows (4-1-4-1) and doors (1-2-1) at ground; panelled timber entrance doors; variety of glazing patterns to fanlights.
109-115 (Odd Nos) Morrison Street: 4-storey tenement block, 4-bay symmetrical section (Nos 109-113) to Morrison Street, bowed 3-bay corner to Gardner s Crescent (No 115). Droved sandstone ashlar; polished sandstone ashlar to No 115. Base course; dividing band course between ground and 1st floors and, to bowed section only, projecting cornice; projecting cornice between 2nd and 3rd floors; cornice; blocking course. Voussoirs to ground floor openings and architraves to 1st floor windows of bowed section. Regular fenestration to upper floors; semicircular fanlight to all fenestration at ground in bowed section.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: glass shop window to outer left; 2 recessed doors to left; fanlights; timber door, flanking single windows to right. 2-leaf timber door with glass panels to bow; flanking single windows.
Timber sash and case windows, predominantly 2- or 12-pane; basement windows predominantly 8-pane timber sash and case with some 2-pane and 12-pane; variety of fanlights, predominantly geometric. Grey slate piended roof. Coped stacks with corniced cans. Individual decorative cast-iron balustrades to 1st floor windows of Nos 2, 9, 10, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23 and to ground floor window to left of door to No 7; continuous ironwork balconies to 3rd floor of Nos 14 and 17 Gardner s Crescent. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
RAILINGS: original spear-headed wrought-iron railings to street and flanking platts of Gardner s Crescent.
Statement of Special Interest
A group with 85-89 and 91-107 Morrison Street. Nos 1-25A Gardner s Crescent (the name coming from William Gardner who feued out the land) and 91-115 Morrison Street were built as a unified scheme, an outlier of Edinburgh s New Town.
From the outset the buildings comprised a large number of small and medium sized flats, the larger ones with more interesting internal detail being those in Gardner s Crescent. Considerable uniformity of external treatment is achieved with the plain ashlar frontage, the joints in the masonry line up with some of the astragals of the 12-pane sash and case glazing, unusual at this early date. The continuation of the cornice below 3rd floor cill level to either side of the 3-window bow joining the 2 blocks at the point of the V ingeniously overcomes the awkwardness of the site by providing cohesion.
Rehabilitation work, principally of the corner flats, undertaken by McLeod and Traub in 1980.
Gardner's Crescent first appears on an 1828 Plan of Edinburgh and Leith labelled 'Gardener's Crescent'.
Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '1-25A (Inclusive nos) Gardener's Crescent and 109-115 (odd nos) Morrison Street including railings'.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 52625
(1828) Plan of Edinburgh & Leith exhibiting all the present & intended improvements, etc. Edinburgh: W. Hunter & C. Smith
Gifford, J. McWilliam, C. and Walker, D. (1988) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. London: Penguin Books. pp. 61, 253, 265, 268.
McKean, C. and Walker, D. (1992) Edinburgh: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Edinburgh : RIAS. p.136.
Cant, M. (1995) Edinburgh: Gorgie and Dalry. Edinburgh : Malcolm Cant Publications. p.18.
Colvin, H. (1995) A Biographical Dictionary Of British Architects 1600-1840. 3RD Edition. London : Yale University Press. p. 304.
Glendinning, M., MacInnes, R. and MacKechnie, A., (1996) A History of Scottish Architecture: from the Renaissance to the Present Day, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. p. 564.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.