Thomas Brown, 1821. 40-bay near-symmetrical terraced tenement, comprising 3-storey and basement, 26-bay linking block flanked by pair of 4-storey and basement, 5-bay terminal pavilions. Polished ashlar sandstone; V-jointed rustication at principal floors of terminal pavilions; droved ashlar sandstone at basement. Band course at principal, 1st and 2nd floors; cornice and blocking course at 2nd floor of linking block and 3rd floors of terminal pavilions. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement. Mews to rear in North West Cumberland Street Lane, see below.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION, LINKING BLOCK: 26-bay linking block, comprising 4-panel timber doors with decorative rectangular fanlights, irregularly spaced at principal floor, in bays 3rd, 4th, 6th, 11th and 13th from left; 3rd, 5th, 7th and 12th from right. Windows in remaining bays at principal floor, with narrow plate glass window between doors to Nos 14 and 15. Regular fenestration to floors above, with panelled aprons to 1st floor windows. Flagged basement area.
N ELEVATION, TERMINAL PAVILIONS: pair of 4-storey and basement, 5-bay terminal pavilions. E pavilion (No 13) comprising 4-panel timber door with radial semicircular fanlight in round-arched doorpiece, centred at principal floor; flanked by windows in round-arched recesses, in remaining bays. Regular fenestration to floors above. Projecting cills to principal and 1st floor windows. W pavilion (No 24) comprising 4-panel timber doors with radial semicircular fanlights in round-arched doorpieces, at centre and outer right at principal floor. Windows in round-arched recesses in remaining bays at principal floor; regular fenestration to floors above. Projecting cills to principal and 1st floor windows. Corniced blank frieze at impost level at principal floors. Roman Doric pilasters flanking bays at 1st and 2nd floors; panelled pilasters flanking bays at 3rd floors. Flagged basement areas.
E ELEVATION: 4-storey and basement, 5-bay elevation, becoming 104 and 106 Dundas Street. Panelled timber common stair door, with decorative rectangular fanlight centred at principal floor. Regular fenestration, with blind windows in penultimate bays to left and right, and to outer right, at all floors above basement. 2-bay shop front to right at basement, with glazed door to outer right, and plate glass window in penultimate bay to right. Flagged basement area.
INTERIORS: not seen, 1997, but some evidence of working panelled shutters.
RAILINGS AND LAMPS: ashlar copes surmounted by iron railings with fleur-de-lis balusters and pineapple and quasi-Maltese cross finials. Cast-iron railing-mounted lamps with glass globes.
11 NORTH WEST CUMBERLAND STREET LANE: earlier 19th century. 2-storey 3-bay mews block. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone with droved ashlar dressings. Projecting cills.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 8-panel timber door to right of centre at ground, with 3-pane fanlight; flanked by modern garage door with concrete lintel, inserted to right; window to left; paired windows to outer left. Windows breaking eaves at 1st floor, in regularly spaced gabled stone dormerheads, slate hung.
E ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining modern garage.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Sandstone gablehead stacks; coped, with circular cans. Coped skews.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of the Second New Town A Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain.
Fettes Row was part of the first extension of the New Town planned by Reid and Sibbald in 1802. Nos 13-24, across Dundas Street, were an addition to the original scheme. Feued by the magistrates. Thomas Brown's elevation was approved 22 December 1821 (see E J MacRae notes). Building was started in 1821. Nos 1-12 (see separate listing) are linked in design with Royal Crescent (see separate listing) of which they form a continuation. The original scheme for Nos 13-24 envisaged a straight symmetrical block of which 23 and 24 were to form the central feature, but joining St Vincent Street at right angles. After the construction of St Stephen's Church in 1828, the western section was redesigned as a quadrant sweeping into St Vincent Street, but this was never executed.
Nos 104 and 106 Dundas Street were formally Nos 30-32A, even Nos, Pitt Street.