Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

37A, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 DRUMSHEUGH GARDENS, 1 CHESTER STREET AND 1 ROTHESAY PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS, ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO REARLB28677

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24146 73773
Coordinates
324146, 673773

Description

Peddie and Kinnear and John Lessels, built 1878. Italianate terrace comprising unified façade of 4-storey and raised basements townhouses with main-door and common stair flats behind; wide corner block to N, slightly advanced with canted bays. Basement area to street including some vaulted cellars and retaining walls. Sandstone ashlar, channelled ashlar at ground floor. Entrance platts oversailing basements. Base course and moulded cill course at ground floor. Moulded string and cill courses to 1st floor, with fielded panels and small rosettes at bay windows. Moulded cill course at 2nd floor becoming cornice at bay windows. Further moulded cill course at 3rd floor with fielded panels above between windows. Consoled corniced eaves course at 3rd floor (attic storey). Pilastered doorpieces with rectangular fanlight, deep brackets (some paired) supporting balustraded corniced balcony rising to bracketed and corniced 1st floor window. 2-storey corniced advanced 3-light rectangular bays (some canted to N) with reeded Corinthian column mullions at 1st floor; pilastered to outside. Moulded architraved windows throughout, bracketed and corniced at 1st floor; corniced at 2nd floor; square attic storey (3rd floor) windows.

N (ROTHESAY PLACE) ELEVATION: 4 bays, 4 storeys with slightly advanced chimney breast to left with small scrolls at 1st floor and fielded panel at 3rd floor. Fenestration to right only, tripartite windows at end bay to right. Architraved and corniced doorpiece with rectangular fanlight. Bracketed corniced and pedimented window at 1st floor; corniced windows at 2nd floor.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: squared, coursed rubble with some ashlar quoins and ashlar cills. Regular fenestration with some tripartite windows at 1st floor. Some advanced bays at ground and 1st floors.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows; 4-pane windows at attic storey. Corniced ashlar gable end and ridge stacks with modern clay cans. Cast-iron railings on ashlar copes edging basement recess to street. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: highly decorative classical interior scheme with detailed cornicing and some large foliate ceiling roses throughout 1st and 2nd floors. Corinthian columns at 1st floor with intricate foliate capitals. Some pedimented doorcases throughout 1st and 2nd floors. Dog-leg stairs with large cupolas and further highly decorative cornicing and roundel panes. Converted for later office use (2008).

MEWS BUILDINGS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: range of single storey mews buildings to rear, predominantly single storey, coursed random rubble. Coursed random rubble boundary walls, with some ashlar quoins and copes (some integrated with mews buildings). Some later additions.

Statement of Special Interest

A prominent terrace with striking Italianate stone detailing incorporating one of the later parts of the former Walker Estate. The dramatic design is an important component of the streetscape with characteristic features, such as fluent architectural detailing, and a fine use of Corinthian columns and pilasters in prominent canted bays.

Peddie and Kinnear were an extremely successful Edinburgh practice gaining a large number of high profile public and commercial commissions including churches, hydropathics, poorhouses and numerous banks and hospitals. They also began to build speculatively, and developed high quality residential schemes from the 1860s onwards. The partnership was always forward looking and the adoption of the Greco-Italian style for this development is typical of the grander essays in this style used in their commercial buildings, especially banks.

John Lessels secured the control over the Walker Estate in 1850, only 4 years after he had set up practice on his own in 1846. He later went on to work for the City Improvement Trust in Edinburgh, and gained a wide experience of residential design with further designs in both the old and new towns of Edinburgh as well as some large commissions such as significant alterations to George Watson's Hospital.

(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1893-4); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 372; RCAHMS, EDD 621/41-53 (1873 -1907); C Byrom, The Edinburgh New Town Gardens, (2005) pp 411-2.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 37A, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 DRUMSHEUGH GARDENS, 1 CHESTER STREET AND 1 ROTHESAY PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS, ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO REAR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/06/2023 11:17