Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2-22 (INCLUSIVE NOS) DRUMMOND STREET AND 2-6 (EVEN NOS) NICOLSON STREETLB28671

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/04/1977
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26048 73312
Coordinates
326048, 673312

Description

Circa 1790 (16-21 Drummond Street by Robert Burn ' see Notes). 5-storey, basement and attic, large residential and commercial tenement block. 30-bay to principal (N) elevation with broad, shouldered wall-head gables to outer bays; pair of wall-head gablets towards centre with piended dormers between. Ashlar with raised cills. Band course between ground and 1st floors; cill course at 2nd floor. 6-bay to Nicolson Street elevation; 5-bay to Roxburgh Place elevation.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Timber pilastered shop fronts and commercial premises to ground at 2-15 Drummond Street and 2-6 Nicolson Street with curving decorated timber pilaster to NW corner and 20th century shallow canted infill window to 1st floor. Commercial premises at No 14 Drummond Street with tall 2-leaf timber panelled door, fluted-pilasters, panelling and dentiled cornice. Segmental-arched pend to immediate left. Ground floor windows in recessed round-arched panels to bays at Nos 16-22 Drummond Street with over-sailing steps to main entrances with simple classical door surrounds and large fanlights; cast-iron railings.

12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Slate roof. End stacks. Coped skews and skewputs. Clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: public house at No 14 Dummond Street has elaborate cornicing and some timber panelling.

Statement of Special Interest

Nos 2-22 Drummond Street is a refined and little-altered externally example of a large and unified Classical style 18th century tenement block, running from the corner of Nicholson Street to the corner of Roxburgh Place. Its imposing mass and refined detail add interest to the streetscape within a critical area of the South Side.

Nos 2-6 Nicolson Street, along with Nos 8-16 date from late 18th century. The section of the street immediately to the South of this had been developed not long before on ground belonging to Lady Nicolson. In 1785, the South Bridge Act paved the way for a new bridge to be built as a link between the Old Town and the newly developing area South of the City. This bridge was to join the new Nicolson Street to the North Bridge. Lady Nicolson's old house, which stood close to the site of this tenement was demolished in order to make the link as straight as possible. The South Bridge was opened for traffic in 1788 and it is thought that these tenements were constructed shortly afterwards.

List description updated at resurvey (2007/08).

References

Bibliography

John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p247. Charles McKean, Edinburgh - An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) p46. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 10.05.2007)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2-22 (INCLUSIVE NOS) DRUMMOND STREET AND 2-6 (EVEN NOS) NICOLSON STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 22:45