There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 27/10/1965
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24467 74389
- Coordinates: 324467, 674389
James Milne, 1824. Extensive terrace of 2-storey and basement townhouses in plain classical style with slightly advanced 3-storey and basement, 5-bay corner tenement pavilions; cast-iron 1st floor balconies and balustraded parapet to 2-storey centre; set on ground falling to NE. Sandstone ashlar, channelled at ground floor, rusticated at ground floor to SW (Danube Street) and NE (Carlton Street) elevations. Entrance platts oversailing basement area recess to street. Banded base course; deep banded cill course at 1st floor; corniced eaves course, corniced cill course at 2nd floor and corniced eaves course with narrow blocking course above to corner pavilions. Inset doorways; timber doors and rectangular fanlights (some with geometric glazing pattern). Plain recessed window surrounds at ground floor; moulded architraved and corniced window at 1st floor with reeded aprons to corner pavilions.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: coursed squared rubble with tooled ashlar rybats, lintels and cills. Roughly regular fenestration.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, 6- over 9-pane glazing at 1st floor of recessed section. Double-pitched roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar wallhead stacks to corner pavilions with large fielded panel; corniced ashlar ridge stacks; some clay cans. Cast-iron rain-water goods. Cast-iron railings edging basement area recess to street incorporating lamp standard with large bowl shade.
INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) classical decorative scheme, characterised by intricate plasterwork to principal rooms. Stone stairs with well-detailed cast iron balustrade and timber handrail, topped by large cupolas. Working window shutters. Some later conversion to flats.
Statement of Special Interest
16-21 Dean Terrace is a prominent and finely detailed terrace occupying an important site overlooking the Water of Leith and marking the entrance into Danube Street and Carlton Streets (see separate listings) with large 3-storey corner blocks. The design is well proportioned, with fine architectural detailing such as corniced 1st floor windows. The design is a major example of early to mid nineteenth century urban classicism in Edinburgh, forming part of the development of the land of Sir Henry Raeburn and designed by prominent architect James Milne. The terrace is an integral part of Edinburgh's New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe.
Henry Raeburn was born in Stockbridge and acquired the house and grounds of Deanhaugh through marriage, before adding adjacent land at St Bernard's. He occupied St Bernard's House until his death in 1823 when it was demolished to accommodate the growing residential development of the estate, making space for the eastern side of Carlton Street. The authorship of James Milne for the whole development is not certain, but the elevations for the principal streets bear the characteristic features of his designs elsewhere, such as Lynedoch place (see separate listing) where the street fronting gardens found on Ann Street are also used.
James Milne was an architect and mason working in Edinburgh between 1809 and 1834 (when he moved to Newcastle). His other works in Edinburgh also include Lynedoch Place and Saxe-Coburg Place (see separate listings). Milne was also the author of The Elements of Architecture only the 1st volume of which was published in Edinburgh in 1812.
(List description updated at re-survey 2012).
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 - 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p407. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1988) pp271-2. H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) p658. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.