There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 27/10/1965
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24537 74472
- Coordinates: 324537, 674472
James Milne, designed 1824. Terrace of 2-storey and basement, 3-bay townhouses in plain classical style; slightly advanced 3-storey and basement, 5-bay corner tenement pavilion with small bowed recess on corner. Sandstone ashlar, channelled at ground floor, rusticated at ground floor to SW (Carlton Street) elevation. Entrance platts oversailing basement area recess to street. Banded base course; banded cill course at 1st floor; corniced eaves course; corniced cill course at 2nd floor of corner pavilion. Inset doorways; timber doors and rectangular fanlights (some with geometric glazing pattern). Moulded architraved and corniced windows at 1st floor. Individual cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows of townhouses; bowed balconies to 2 right hand bays of SE elevation of corner pavilion.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: random rubble with droved ashlar rybats, cills and lintels. Regular fenestration.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, 6- over 9-pane glazing at 1st floor of corner pavilion. Double-pitched roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar ridge stacks with some octagonal clay cans. Corniced ashlar wallhead stack to SE elevation of corner block with large fielded panel, flanked by stepped blocking course. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Cast-iron railings edging basement area recess to street.
INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) decorative classical scheme, characterised by intricate plasterwork and large drawing rooms. Stone stairs with well-detailed cast iron balustrade and timber handrail, topped by large oval cupolas with decorative plasterwork beneath. Large ground and 1st floor drawing rooms to front with decorative cornicing, some ceiling roses and large marble fireplaces. Cornicing continues throughout, less elaborate to upper floors and basement. Working window shutters. Circular hallways to No. 1 Carlton Street. Later subdivision common throughout.
Statement of Special Interest
The design is a major example of early to mid nineteenth century urban classicism in Edinburgh, forming part of the development of the land of Sir Henry Raeburn and designed by prominent architect James Milne. It is a well proportioned terrace of townhouses with fine architectural detailing such as corniced 1st floor windows. The corner block is prominently set and frames the entrance into Carlton Street. The bowed corner is a good detail and marks the division between Dean Terrace and Carlton Street.. This terrace was designed to be the west flank of a palace-front terrace, corresponding with 1-6 Dean Terrace (see separate listing) with a centrepiece at what is now 7-10 Dean Terrace, until the demolition of Old Deanhaugh House, circa 1879. The terrace is an integral part of Edinburgh's New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe.
Henry Raeburn was born in Stockbridge and acquired the house and grounds of Deanhaugh through marriage, before adding adjacent land at St Bernard's. He occupied St Bernard's House until his death in 1823 when it was demolished to accommodate the growing residential development of the estate, making space for the eastern side of Carlton Street. The authorship of James Milne for the whole development is not certain, but the elevations for the principal streets bear the characteristic features of his designs elsewhere, such as Lynedoch place (see separate listing) where the streetfronting gardens found on Ann Street are also used.
James Milne was an architect and mason working in Edinburgh between 1809 and 1834 (when he moved to Newcastle). His other works in Edinburgh also include Lynedoch Place and Saxe-Coburg Place (see separate listings). Milne was also the author of The Elements of Architecture only the 1st volume of which was published in Edinburgh in 1812.
(List description updated at re-survey 2012).
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 ' 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). R Harvey-Jamieson Dean Terrace an Historical Sketch (1975). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p407. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh, (1988) pp271-2. H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) p658. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.