Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DEAN STREET 33-41 (ODD NOS) AND 1 RAEBURN STREETLB28641

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/10/1965
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24418 74583
Coordinates
324418, 674583

Description

1813. 3-storey corner tenement block with 5'bay symmetrical elevation to Raeburn Street and 10 bays to Dean Street. Rounded arched doorways with cornice and fluted friezes. Tooled ashlar. Base course, 1st and 2nd floor cill courses. 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Double pitched slate roofs and gable stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

A fine example of a classical Edinburgh tenement with good stone detailing, and the first block of buildings to be built in the historic Raeburn Estate.

Henry Raeburn owned the Raeburn Estate to which he later added lands at Deanhaugh and St Bernard's. His subsequent feuing of the land resulted in the development of the whole of the Stockbridge, Raeburn and Deanhaugh areas of Edinburgh. He began feuing land in 1813 and this building and the street on which it sits were the first to be laid out in the area. Ann Street (1817) by architect James Milne is in similar style and he may also have been responsible for this building although there is also reference to William Bryce working in Dean Street.

This tenement is one of two at each end of Raeburn Street which were both built in 1813 and blocks punctuating the ends of the street which was formerly known as Hermitage Place when built. The middle section of Raeburn Street was built slightly later in 1816-19 as a row of 2 storey houses with gatepiers at each end closing the street off as an enclosed development.

List description and statutory address updated in 2012.

References

Bibliography

J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 'Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh' (1984) p405. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1852).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DEAN STREET 33-41 (ODD NOS) AND 1 RAEBURN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 01:40