Circa 1830. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, symmetrical classical house, with attached wing walls. Coursed rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings and coursed rubble to the wing walls. Base course with dividing band course, cornice, and blocking course. In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is proposed to be excluded from the listing: boundary walls to Dalkeith Road.
There is a panelled, 2-leaf timber door with a plate glass fanlight to the west (principal) elevation. It is surrounded by a decorative painted timber doorpiece with pilasters and a cornice. There are tripartite windows flanking the door at ground level to the outer left and right. The side lights to the left window are blind. There are single windows at the 1st floor above. There is a single storey lean-to situated to the north gable and the east (rear) elevation.
There are predominantly 12-pane, timber, sash and case windows throughout, and some are 16-pane. The house has a grey slate piended roof with coped and corniced wallhead stacks, and moulded clay cans.
The interior was seen in 2015. The interior has been moderately altered for its previous use as a day nursery. It retains early 19th century cornicing to the principal rooms, with cast iron fireplace inserts with marble surrounds, timber panelled doors and window shutters. A dog-leg stone staircase gives access to the first floor.
There is a tall coped rubble wing wall to the south with a pedestrian gate; a similar wing wall is attached to the north.
Statement of Special Interest
Dating to around 1830, the suburban villa at 79 Dalkeith Road is a well-portioned house in the classical style, which largely retains the symmetry of its principal elevation. The building is a good example of a suburban villa constructed in the early 19th century and retains a number of good architectural features, including the pilastered and corniced doorpiece and some good details to its interior. The building has been little altered and makes a contribution to its immediate setting, forming a good group with the adjacent villas of similar date.
In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is proposed to be excluded from the listing: boundary walls to Dalkeith Road.
Age and Rarity
The name 'Rose Hall' and a building appear around this location on Roy's map of 1753; a building is also evident on Laurie's 1763 map as 'Rosehall' but it is not certain if this is the current building. In 1840, the house, which is likely the current building, appears on Pollock's plan of Edinburgh, Leith & suburbs, to accompany Pollock's new guide through Edinburgh by W. & A.K. Johnston of 1840. The house at 79 Dalkeith Road then appears on this 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (of 1852), in roughly the same rectangular-plan footprint as it is currently found, and within the same size plot of land. While there is no definite documentary information for its exact date, the house likely dates to around 1830.
By the end of the 18th century, Edinburgh Old Town was overcrowded, and housing was sought out-with the New Town development to the north. The South Bridge Act of 1785 facilitated the expansion of the city towards the south in Newington. Blacket, where this building is situated, was largely established and developed from 1825 through to the late 1830s. The development was initiated by Benjamin Bell in 1803, an Edinburgh surgeon, however he died before his plans were realised. His son carried on the plans, and commissioned James Gillespie Graham to design a new development to the east of Minto Street which would be of high value (as stipulated in the feuing conditions of the time), be of low density, have garden spaces to the front and rear, houses to be of similar height, and all properties secure 'with the privacy and convenience of country residencies and lots' (City of Edinburgh Council Conservation Area Character Appraisal). The house at 79 Dalkeith Road is part of a small group of early 19th century classical villas which, together with the nearby mid to later 19th century mansions and the University of Edinburgh's post-war Pollock Halls.
Buildings erected before 1840 which are of notable quality and survive predominantly in their original form have a strong case for listing. Suburban villas from the late 18th century to the mid-part of the 19th century are common building types in Scotland and many survive which also retain much of their internal decorative features. The building type is particularly prevalent in Edinburgh and the surrounding area. 79 Dalkeith Road is a good example of an early 19th century classical suburban villa which remains largely unaltered, retaining much of its 1830 form and fabric (see below).
Architectural or Historic Interest
The interior of the building, seen in 2015, retains a number of decorative features from around 1830. There are several fire surrounds of definite quality, and the cornicing to the principal rooms is well detailed.
The building has been moderately altered to accommodate its former use as a day nursery however much of the early 19th century interest is intact.
The symmetrical plan form is typical for a villa of this date and size with a central staircase to the rear.
Technological excellence or innovation, material or design quality
The building at 79 Dalkeith Road is largely unaltered externally and the principal elevation in particular has some good stone detailing. The pilastered and cornice entrance doorpiece is of some quality and the tripartite windows with side lights are also of interest.
The architect of the building is not known. However, the building is similar in form to its neighbouring houses, which are associated with the architect James Gillespie Graham.
The villa is situated within its own grounds, slightly set back and raised from street level, and located within Blacket, an early 19th century suburban villa development. There are views towards Arthur's Seat to the rear of the property. The property has tall boundary garden wing walls to the north and south. The villa forms part of a run of early 19th century houses on Dalkeith Road, terminating with Priestfield Parish Church. There is some later development including post-war halls of residence for the University of Edinburgh, however the area is still largely early 19th century in character.
There are no known regional variations.
Close Historical Associations
There are no known associations with a nationally important person or event.
Statutory listing address, category of listing change from B to C and listed building record revised in 2016. Previously listed as '79 Dalkeith Road Including Boundary Walls And Pedestrian Gates'.