Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

71 Dalkeith Road, Including Boundary Walls and Pedestrian Gate, EdinburghLB28616

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
14/12/1970
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26934 72228
Coordinates
326934, 672228

Description

Circa 1830. Single storey, 3-bay, symmetrical, classical house with recessed single storey wings to N and S; advanced, gabled central bay; strip quoins. Lightly stugged, coursed, cream sandstone ashlar. Base course; architraves and projecting cills; deeply overhanging eaves.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central doorway; panelled door; plate glass fanlight; single windows in bays to outer left and right and to single storey wings.

Predominantly 12-pane, timber, sash and case windows; plate glass to single storey wing to S. Grey slate piended roof; tall, rendered and coped wallhead stacks; moulded cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND PEDESTRIAN GATE: low coped rubble wall to street; railings removed; higher rubble mutual wall to S; N boundary wall incorporating window of adjoining house; pedestrian gate adjoining single storey wing to S.

Statement of Special Interest

Following the completion of the South Bridge in 1788, which linked the northern New Town and the Southside of Edinburgh, residential development to the south of Edinburgh expanded considerably. The lands of Newington were developed from the late eighteenth century as a residential suburb, comprising mainly detached villas.

The house at 71 Dalkeith Road first appears on the Ordnance Survey map of 1852 on a site formerly known as Rosehall.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '71 Dalkeith Road including boundary walls and pedestrian gate'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 129118

Appears on PO directory map 1840.

Ordnance Survey (Surveyed 1852, published 1853) Large scale Scottish town plans, Town Plan of Edinburgh (south east part). London: Ordnance Survey.

Gifford, J. McWilliam, C. and Walker, D. (1991) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. London: Penguin Books, p. 634.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Southwest elevation, 71 Dalkeith Road, Including Boundary Walls and Pedestrian Gate, Edinburgh, taken on clear day, tree and Arthur's Seat in background.

Printed: 03/12/2022 09:22