Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

11-22 (INCLUSIVE NOS) NORTH WEST CIRCUS PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS LB28521

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24764 74483
Coordinates
324764, 674483

Description

Robert Brown, 1825, with alterations by Reid and Forbes, 1933. 4-storey and basement, 18-bay terraced tenement, stepping down at centre. Broached ashlar sandstone. Cill course at 1st floor; projecting cills at 2nd floor; cill course at 3rd floor; cornice and blocking course at 3rd floor. Ashlar entrance platts and steps oversailing basement to Nos 17-22.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 9-bay terrace to right comprising advanced 3-bay polished granite and black granite shop front with stepped wallhead panel, at ground to left, with recessed doorpieces flanking tripartite window with multi-pane lights, and carved stone mullions with Art Deco motifs, 2-leaf 10-panel timber door to left, 5-panel timber common stair door to right, with rectangular fanlights and wrought-iron screens, deep step becoming terrace, at street; advanced 3-bay ashlar sandstone and polished black granite shop front, to right, comprising recessed doorpiece in bay to left, with glazed timber door, and carved stone armorial panel centred above door at street, multi-pane plate glass windows in remaining bays. 9-bay terrace to left comprising pilastraded shop fronts with continuous cornice; 6-panel timber common stair door with rectangular fanlight to right of centre, 3-bay shop front to left, with 2-leaf 6-panel timber door and plate glass rectangular fanlight, 2-bay shop front to right, with glazed door and rectangular fanlight, 2-bay shop front to outer left with 2-leaf 6-panel timber door, 3-pane plate glass window, 2-bay shop front to outer right, with glazed door, plate glass rectangular fanlight, plate glass window. Variety of 2-leaf 6-panel timber doors, with plate glass rectangular fanlights plate glass windows. Steps to basement at Nos 17, 18 and 22; window in bay to outer left at basement of No 22. Regular fenestration to floors above.

SE ELEVATION: coursed rubble, long and short quoins, with windows centred at all floors, including polished ashlar sandstone to left at ground, with window.

NW ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, see separate listing (2-18 St Stephen Street).

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate M-roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Coursed rubble wallhead stack, with broached ashlar quoins, broached ashlar ridge stacks; coped, with circular cans.

INTERIORS: predominantly not seen, 1997, but some evidence of working panelled shutters; No 15, former bank, with Art Deco Classical interior, comprising banking hall with manager's office to left at rear; including Egyptianesque columns, marble floor, sarcophagus above door to manager's office, consoles to pilastered doorpiece, engraved frosted glazing, wall benches flanking radiator covers, with brass chevron patterned grilles, ornate entrance door handles with thistle motifs, contrasting veneers to dado.

RAILINGS: ashlar copes surmounted by coped cast-iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Second New Town A Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Nos 11-22 North West Circus Place is a continuation of Brown's St Stephen Street development, linking with Playfair's scheme. The original pilastraded ground floor continued Playfair's parade of shops at 1-10 North West Circus (see separate listing), surviving at Nos. 17-22 with some later alteration. The feu charter for the site was given by James Peddie to a builder, Walter Stewart Binn, on the 29th October 1822. The earliest instrument of saisine to an occupier followed a year later in November 1823. The alterations to No. 15 to form a Bank of Scotland branch date from 1933 and were the work of Reid amd Forbes. No. 12 was altered in 1936 to form a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland by the companies own engineer. In both cases the basement areas and cellars were paved over at street level. The original 1930s glazing at No. 12 has been later altered to accommodate the insertion of a cash machine. The former Bank of Scotland branch at No. 15 was sold in 1996 and is now (2009) in use as a café. For mews to rear, see separate listing (Circus Lane).

References

Bibliography

: J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p.352,; Register of Sasines. Information courtesy of owners, 2009.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 11-22 (INCLUSIVE NOS) NORTH WEST CIRCUS PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2019 07:13