Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

354 CASTLEHILL AND 17 JOHNSTON TERRACE, FORMER CASTLEHILL SCHOOL WITH JANITOR'S HOUSE, ANCILLARY BUILDINGS, RAILINGS AND RETAINING WALLLB28490

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/08/1987
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25408 73503
Coordinates
325408, 673503

Description

Robert Wilson, 1887. 2 storeys and attic to Castlehill, 3 storeys and attic to Johnston Terrace; former school (now Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre) with Scottish Baronial detailing. Squared and snecked lightly stugged sandstone with red sandstone dressings. Long and short quoins. Crowstepped gables. Windows in roll-moulded surrounds.

N (CASTLEHILL) ELEVATION: 6 bays: transomed windows in pedimented roll-moulded architraves to ground floor. Moulded string course stepping up over blank heraldic shield to centre between ground and 1st floors. Transomed windows in roll-moulded surrounds to 1st floor. Chequer-set corbelling to eaves; balustraded parapet; solid to centre; 2-window crowstepped nepus gable with apex stack; circular carved panel in gable.

S (JOHNSTON TERRACE) ELEVATION: round-arched openings to ground floor: flat-headed doors and windows with Diocletian windows over; double string courses between floors. Tall projecting gabled 3-bay block to centre with angle buttresses and bartizans with conical slated roofs; string course stepping up over 3 blank shields to centre at 1st floor; transomed windows to 2nd floor with carved panel (CASTLE HILL SCHOOL) beneath; bracketed and balustraded balcony to mullioned and transomed window with segmental pediment in gable, flanked by carved panels with initials and date (1887). Recessed 3-bay wings: transomed windows to 1st and 2nd floors; string course stepping up over blank shields between outer left and right bays to 2nd floor; blind oculi in gables over 2 bays to outer right and left.

JANITOR'S HOUSE, 17 JOHNSTON TERRACE:

S (JOHNSTON TERRACE) ELEVATION: 3-storeys, 2-bays: timber panelled door to ground in roll-moulded surround; 2 round-arched windows to right; paired small windows to left; mullioned and transomed oriel to right at 1st floor; mullioned bipartite to right at 2nd floor with crowstepped dormerhead breaking eaves; blind oculus in gable; single windows to left at 1st and 2nd floors.

N ELEVATION: crowstepped gable to projecting porch to right with blind oculus above timber panelled door; narrow window to left, small paired windows above.

Small ancillary buildings to E and W with similar details to main building.

Small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Greenish-grey slates. Terracotta ridge tiles. Conical slated ventilator to ridge. Tall end stacks with circular cans.

RAILINGS AND RETAINING WALL: tall squared and snecked lightly stugged sandstone retaining wall with roll-moulded cornice and gabletted crenellation to ashlar parapet; round-arched ashlar gateways with cast-iron gates (Boys' and Girls').

Statement of Special Interest

Robert Wilson was architect to the Edinburgh School Board. Dean of Guild plans seek permission to 'remove old buildings' and erect the school and the janitor's house. The plans made provision for infant and juvenile classrooms, sewing room, cookery room and drawing room. Originally the arcaded lower floor to S was open, and divided into boys' and girls' playgrounds; in 1889 permission was granted to extend the playground.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 2nd June 1887 and 15th August 1889. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 176. Walter M Stephen FABRIC AND FUNCTION, A CENTURY OF SCHOOL BUILDING IN EDINBURRGH 1872-1972 p 27, ill p 89.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 354 CASTLEHILL AND 17 JOHNSTON TERRACE, FORMER CASTLEHILL SCHOOL WITH JANITOR'S HOUSE, ANCILLARY BUILDINGS, RAILINGS AND RETAINING WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:56