Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

13 CASTLE TERRACE AND 1 CAMBRIDGE STREET, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGSLB28484

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24847 73441
Coordinates
324847, 673441

Description

John Watherstone, 1859. 4-storey and basement plain classical end of terrace pavilion block, 5 bays to Castle Terrace, 5 to Cambridge Street. Grey ashlar, channelled to ground floor, rusticated to basement. Dividing band between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floors; Moulded cornice between 2nd and 3rd floors; moulded eaves cornice. 1st floor windows in corniced architraves with panelled aprons; 2nd floor in moulded surrounds. Regularly fenestrated. Stone steps and platts over-arching basement areas; timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights in centre bays to Castle Terrace and to Cambridge Street.

Some 12-pane glazing, remainder plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced ashlar stack with circular cans to ridge; scrolled wallhead stack to Cambridge Street.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: decorative finials to cast-iron railings on low ashlar boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Built on the glebe of St Cuthbert's Church. William Burn produced a feuing plan for the Grindlay Estate in 1825, taking in the glebe. The plan of this area more or less as built appears on Wood's 1820 map of Edinburgh. Thomas Hamilton produced elevations for Castle Terrace in 1825, Burn in 1826. The original design may have been intended to mirror the pavilion at Nos 1 and 2 Castle Terrace, with the quadrant block of Nos 3 and 4 continued as a straight block between. However Bryce's St Mark's Unitarian Church (whose lugged ground floor windows Nos 5-7 and Nos 8-12 Castle Terrace echo), built in 1834, intervened. The roadway, altered to take account of the new Western Approach, was laid in 1831.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1877 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 263.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 13 CASTLE TERRACE AND 1 CAMBRIDGE STREET, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 23:44