Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

15 CARLTON STREET AND 15 LESLIE PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGSLB28458

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24489 74493
Coordinates
324489, 674493

Description

Robert Paterson & Son; 1881. 4-storey and basement, 4-bay plain classical corner tenement with prominent bowed corner bay. Sandstone ashlar, rusticated at ground floor. Entrance platts oversailing basement area recess to street. Banded base course, banded cill course at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; corniced eaves course. Inset doorways; timber doors with rectangular fanlights. Tri-partite window with stone mullions to right of 15 Leslie Place entrance. Moulded architraved and corniced windows at 1st floor; moulded architraved windows at 2nd floor.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: squared and snecked sandstone with some tooled ashlar dressings.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Pitched roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar ridge stacks with some octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Cast-iron railings edging basement area recess to street.

INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) classical decorative scheme, characterised by well detailed cornicing to principal rooms and large entrance vestibules.

Statement of Special Interest

15 Carlton Street and 15 Leslie Place is a good example of a later nineteenth century plain classical tenement block and finishes off the earlier development of Carlton Street and using similar plain detailing such as the rusticated ground floor. The street formed part of the development of the land of Sir Henry Raeburn, and 15 Carlton Street is characteristic of the later development of the area following the demolition of Deanhaugh House in 1880. The building is an integral part of Edinburgh's New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe.

Henry Raeburn was born in Stockbridge and acquired the house and grounds of Deanhaugh through marriage, before adding adjacent land at St Bernard's. He occupied St Bernard's House until his death in 1823 when it was demolished to accommodate the growing residential development of the estate, making space for the eastern side of Carlton Street. The land on which 15 Carlton Street is built was not developed until much later because the landowner, Count Leslie, remained in occupation of Deanhaugh House into the second half of the 19th century, effectively halting any further development in this immediate area.

Robert Paterson was articled to the Edinburgh based architect and builder George Beattie, before establishing his own architectural practice c.1859-60. He came into prominence because of his Café Royal Hotel, West Register Street (see separate listing) with its innovative French roof in 1861-62. About 1875 Paterson's son, Robert Paterson, Junior, became a partner in the practice, by which date Paterson Senior was City Assessor. The practice designed a number of tenement buildings in Edinburgh including 147-151 Warrender Park Road and 1-21 Queen Charlotte Street (see separate listings).

(List description updated at re-survey 2012).

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 - 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p407. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1988) pp271-2. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 15 CARLTON STREET AND 15 LESLIE PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 02:09