Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

36-42 (EVEN NOS) CANDLEMAKER ROW, INCLUDING CANDLEMAKERS' HALLLB28416

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25677 73296
Coordinates
325677, 673296

Description

James Watson, 1722, remodelled Ebenezer J McRae, 1929 (see Notes). 4-storey 8-bay tenement block with 5-storey projecting square stair towers to S and N. Random rubble.

NE ELEVATION: 5-storey gabled stair tower to left with carved panel (see Notes) above timber panelled door in moulded surround at ground; circular window in gable. 4 centre bays irregularly fenestrated; door in 2nd bay from right with splayed wallhead stack above, narrow bay to outer right. Piend-roofed stair tower to right with door at ground; 2 bays to outer right irregularly fenestrated; door to left; splayed wallhead stack above.

Small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Broad splayed wallhead stacks with circular cans to front and rear.

Statement of Special Interest

B group comprises Nos 1-5 Forrest Road, 1-3 Greyfriars Place, 4-6 Greyfriars Place, 30-34 Candlemaker Row (Greyfriars Bobby's Bar, 36-42 Candlemaker Row (including Candlemaker Hall), 44 Candlemaker Row, 46-48 Candlemaker Row, 50-54 Candlemaker Row, 56 and 56A Candlemaker Row and 58-64 Candlemaker Row. Rear elevations of group form eastern boundary of Greyfriars churchyard, setting for an important group of mural monuments. In the 17th century the candlemakers were forbidden to have their workshops in the burgh, due to risk of fire and the noxious process. They were granted the use of waste ground near the Society Port in the Flodden Wall, to the E of Greyfriars churchyard. The tenement containing their Convening Hall (36 Candlemaker Row) was begun in 1722. James Watson was the builder. Date (1722) inscribed in weathered carved panel above door of No 36, below arms of Incorporation of Candlemakers and inscription OMNIA MANIFESTA LUCE (no longer legible). No 40, formerly known as Henry's Land, is partly earlier and partly later than its neighbours. Greyfriars Bobby's Bar now extends from Nos 30-34 into the ground floor of No 36. Candlemakers' Hall was the first renovation project of the Cockburn Conservation Trust.

References

Bibliography

Appears on Edgar's 1742 map of Edinburgh. RCAHMS INVENTORY EDINBURGH (1951) No 55 pp109-10. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p222.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 36-42 (EVEN NOS) CANDLEMAKER ROW, INCLUDING CANDLEMAKERS' HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 21:49