Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2-7 (Inclusive Numbers) Cambridge Street, Including Boundary Walls and Railings, EdinburghLB28413

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24813 73402
Coordinates
324813, 673402

Description

1863. 3-storey, basement and attic 19-bay plain classical terrace (1 4-bay and 3 5-bay blocks). Cream ashlar (coursed rubble to side). Base course; dividing band between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floors; moulded eaves course. Doors and windows in moulded surrounds, panelled aprons to 1st floor. Stone steps and platts over-arching basement areas. Regularly fenestrated. Timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights in 2nd bay from left of each block; and (doors to flats) outer right bays of 2nd, 3rd and 4th blocks from right. 3-light windows to slate-hung dormers.

Plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced ashlar stacks with circular cans.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: spear-headed cast-iron railings on low ashlar boundary wall to No 2.

Statement of Special Interest

The north side of Cambridge Street was developed from 1863 on the area of the glebe of St Cuthbert's Church. The street was laid out according to a feuing plan for the Grindlay Estate produced by William Burn in 1825, which had taken in the glebe.

In the first half of the nineteenth century, industrial development in the west of Edinburgh and continuing residential expansion of the New Town northwards had delayed development in the area. Following the construction of the canal and the railway, development began again in the 1860s during a period of significant residential expansion in the City.

The terrace of nos 2-7 Cambridge Street is visible on Bartholomew's Post Office Directory plan of Edinburgh 1865.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '2-7 (inclusive nos) Cambridge Street, including boundary wall and railings'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 254724

Wood, J. (1831) Plan of the City of Edinburgh, including all the latest and intended improvements, Edinburgh : P. Brown & T. Nelson.

Bartholomew, J. (1865) Hislop's new plan of Edinburgh & Leith with suburbs ... constructed for the Post Office Directory, Edinburgh: Bartholomew.

Gifford, J. McWilliam, C. and Walker, D. (1991) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. London: Penguin Books. p. 263.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

South elevation, 2-7 (Inclusive Numbers) Cambridge Street, Including Boundary Walls and Railings, Edinburgh, cars in foreground, taken on clear day.
South elevation, 2-7 (Inclusive Numbers) Cambridge Street, Including Boundary Walls and Railings, Edinburgh, cars and road in foreground, take on a clear day.

Printed: 15/08/2022 22:16