Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

136 AND 138 CALTON ROAD AND 2-12 (EVEN NOS) CAMPBELL'S CLOSE, FORMER BREWERY MALTINGSLB28412

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/01/1989
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26563 73911
Coordinates
326563, 673911

Description

Mid 19th century with later additions (see Notes). 3-storey and basement, double-pitched former brewery maltings with distinctive pyramidal-roofed kiln, prominently situated on steeply sloping ground to the W of Campbell's Close. Roughly-squared rubble with contrasting red sandstone ashlar dressings. PRINCIPAL (N) ELEVATION: Projecting, pyramidal-roofed kiln to right with reconstructed ventilator, now glazed as a cupola. Pair of large timber doors to E side; timbered dummy hoist platforms above. Timbered balcony projection to right at end stack. 2-storey at S elevation with M-pile gable; timber forestair to door at 1st floor, flanked by larger windows.

Predominantly 4-pane glazing to small casement windows. Slate roof. End stack to N. Coped skews. Clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: Understood to be comprehensively refurbished for residential and commercial use.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Gordon Blair as the Balmoral Brewery, Nos 136 to 138 Calton Road is an interesting and rare example of a city centre maltings. Its distinctive functional appearance, its pyramidal kiln in particular, adds much character to the Calton Road streetscape. The use of red sandstone ashlar dressings is unusual and sets it apart. Once wide-spread throughout the Canongate area, few buildings of this type now survive and as such, it is a valuable reminder of Edinburgh's renowned 19th century brewing heritage. The square-plan kiln to N is a later 19th century addition and is not shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1855. The building underwent several changes of use from 1954 onwards and was converted to residential and commercial use in 1982.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey, 2007/08.

References

Bibliography

Ist Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1859). 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1909). John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p221.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 136 AND 138 CALTON ROAD AND 2-12 (EVEN NOS) CAMPBELL'S CLOSE, FORMER BREWERY MALTINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/09/2019 08:27