Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 26068 74123
326068, 674123


Later 18th century. Terraced tenement on elevated site above street level; 4-bay (front and rear elevations) 4-storey and attic. Random rubble with dressed margins. Dormer-headed windows breaking eaves. Long and short dressed quoins.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: timber-panelled door with lozenge-pattern letterbox fanlight, flanked by 2 windows to left, 1 to right. Cast iron window guards (see Notes) to 1st floor cills.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: modern 2- story timber and concrete extension to centre. Nepus gable at centre flanked to left and right by dormerheaded window breaking eaves; canted tripartite timber dormers to outer right and left bays to roof above.

W ELEVATION: only upper storeys visible; remainder concealed by No. 20-22 adjoining (see separate List description). Window to outer left bay to 3rd and 4th floors; window to outer right to 3rd floor.

GLAZING etc: predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to side sections of canted dormers; modern glazing to rear extension. Dormers have timber fascias with grey slate haffits and piend roofs. 4 rooflights to roof to S elevation. Pitched roof; graded grey slate; stone skews and skewputts. Rendered gablehead stacks with circular cans to W gable and N nepus gable; ridge stack to E.

BOUNDARY WALLS: To front, paved ramp leading to stone steps (modern handrails); high rubble retaining walls with stone copes and dressed quoins flanking left and right. Slightly concave curved returns of walls flank beginning of pathway, then drop to dwarf level for remainder of length. To rear, high rubble wall with stone copes enclosing garden area.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 16, 18, 20, 22, 26 and 13 Calton Hill and Rock House, Calton Hill.

Important as one of the few remaining examples of early tenement design outside the Old and New towns, this tenement stands on land feued in the 1760s to John Horn, wright, and William Pirnie, bricklayer, and was possibly built by the same. The cast iron window guards on the S elevation, which take the form of a gothic gatehouse flanked by a battlemented wall, are an unusual and interesting detail.

This building is one of the last remains of the old Calton or Caldtoun Village, which formed the heart of the Barony of Calton. This was, before the development of Waterloo Place and the Regent Bridge, a community quite remote (both in social and infrastructure terms) from the City of Edinburgh proper. The village was part of the parish of South Leith, and members of the community travelled to Leith to worship. It was however considered unsatisfactory to bury the dead of Calton at Leith, and so the Incorporated Trades of Calton (est. 1631) bought and maintained a burying-ground for the use of the Barony. Before the construction of Regent Bridge formed a new direct route to Calton Hill from the New Town, the only means of access to the original burying ground and Calton Hill itself was via the "steep, narrow, stinking spiral street" (Cockburn) now known as Calton Hill (formerly High Calton).

The Regent Bridge and Waterloo Place development required the intersection of the burying-ground (now known as the Old Calton Burying Ground), and also resulted in the demolition of many of the old houses of Calton Burgh. In the 1970s, the remaining old village houses on the lower portion of the north side of Calton Hill were demolished. The street is cobbled, and on the south side retains a wide iron gutter into which a wedge attached to carts and carriages could be fitted, in order to assist braking on the steep and dangerous descent



Appears on John Ainslie's map, c.1780.M S Irvine HISTORICAL NOTES - THE CALTON OR CALDTOUN OF EDINBURGH 1631-1887 (Cowan Bequest, Edinburgh Room, Edinburgh Central Library). Cockburn MEMORIALS OF HIS TIME (1910 ed.) p228. THE BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB 1933 pp111-12. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) p138-147. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1991) p448. A Mitchell THE PEOPLE OF CALTON HILL (1993).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 24 CALTON HILL INCLUDING RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 00:12