Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

24 BROUGHTON STREET (FORMER CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC CHURCH), INCLUDING RAILINGS AND GATELB28368

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
16/06/1966
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25874 74449
Coordinates
325874, 674449

Description

Probably John Dick Peddie, 1843-4. 3-storey and basement, 5-bay classical former Catholic Apostolic Church (now used as warehouse), with pedimented entrance gable to NE. Centre 3 bays recessed, divided by Ionic columns, outer bays framed by pilasters in antis containing architraved windows with panelled aprons and bracketed pediments, with architraved panels above. Recessed centre bays containing round-arched doorpieces with panelled timber doors and radial semicircular fanlights, carved architraved panel above. Pediment with acroteria. Ashlar steps. Base course; cornice at entablature.

SE (YORK LANE) ELEVATION: 6-bay stugged and squared rubble elevation. Bay to outer right recessed and framed by pilasters. Long and short quoins. Modern fenestration, with broached dressings and projecting cills. Later rendered and coped wall to outer left; bay to outer right recessed and framed by pilasters.

NW ELEVATION: As above. Bay to outer left recessed and framed by pilasters.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: coursed rubble gable, with acroteria at apex and outer left and right. Advanced bow at centre, with round-arched tripartite window. Infilled window to right. Harled lean-to addition to right of bow, obscuring ground floor.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows to principal elevation; modern plate glass windows to side elevations. Grey slate roofs. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered stack, breaking pitch; coped, with circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1998. Converted and subdivided for office accommodation.

RAILINGS AND GATE: ashlar copes surmounted by iron railings, with gate comprising iron railings and square-plan piers.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group. John Dick Peddie, the probable architect of 24 Broughton Street, built the Trinity Duke Street Parish Church in Glasgow, 1857; similar to the former building but grander and more ornamental. 24 Broughton Street was built for the Reverend Edward Irving. The Irvingites moved to the Bellevue Reformed Baptist Church (former Catholic Apostolic Church, Rowand Anderson, 1872) in 1876 (see separate listing).

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), p336.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 24 BROUGHTON STREET (FORMER CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC CHURCH), INCLUDING RAILINGS AND GATE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 02:43